Good keyboard and mouse upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by reaper, May 24, 2004.

1. reaper macrumors 6502

Any thoughts on what a good "upgrade" for a keyboard/mose combo would be? I have used the pro mouse and keyboard for some time and I just don't like the mushiness of the pro keyboard (I always double-type because I can't get the "feel" of the darn thing) and I can't stand the one-buttoned nature of the pro mouse. :rolleyes:

I have been looking and trying several different options, but none have really fit the bill. Some, like any microsoft mouse, will not let my mac sleep, and others, like the kensington combo i tried, are not always recognized when my mac comes back from sleep. :mad:

Currently, I am looking at the new matias rendition of the apple classic, but it's quite expensive, and the mx duo from logitech. Anyone have any thoughts on these, or recs for others? Thanks.

- reaper

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

I have two sets of Logitech wireless kb/mouse combo, MX Duo and Navigator Duo, between my PC and Mac systems. Works well and have no problem putting my Dual G4 MDD to sleep and back. I like the feel of the MS Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0 better than the 2 Logitech coreless though.

3. reaper thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. Does the logitech mx duo work out of the box with the mac pretty well, or do the drivers add substantial functionality? Also, are all of the buttons useful on the mx duo or are they windows only features? And, I would assume that F12 is the eject key on the logitech keyboard right (?) since it doesn't seem there is an eject key built-in. Thanks again!

- reaper

4. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i have 3 microsoft mice (1 is for my g4, I normally use a Kensington Orbit) and a kensington for the powerbook.. they all work great. Macally has a good keyboard also.

5. reaper thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you happen to know which macally keyboard? Thanks.

- reaper

6. lordmac macrumors regular

Heres a cool mouse

I have this mouse I got at macmice.com its nice and it looks just like the apple pro mouse but it has 2 buttons and a scroll wheel. The only anoying part is the cord is a little small for my 12" powerbook because all of the ports are on the left of the computer. :D

7. reaper thread starter macrumors 6502

I was actually thinking of combining that mouse with the new matias keyboard. Would look a lot like the applr pro stuff, but be more functional. Has anyone used the new matias repro of the apple classic? How does it feel and are the click keys as reliable as the old mac classic? Thanks.

- reaper

8. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

I never install drivers for any of my KBs or mice. Don't have to, don't need to, don't want to. Drivers are trouble for KBs and mice. The MX Duo buttons work fine on the Mac just like on the PC. I use the audio control buttons for iTunes, no problem. And yes, The F12 is the eject key on the Logitech KB.

9. reaper thread starter macrumors 6502

AWESOME! That's what I was looking for. I checked out the pricing for the matias and it was wicked expensive. I think I'm going to try the logitech mx duo and see what happens. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

- reaper

10. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Yes, I've heard of that one too. I can't wait for the Bluetooth one to come out in the summer. It looks really nice - just like the pro mouse. Check it out: www.macmice.com/themouse.html

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

11. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

My friend has the ikey, but that one is mushy too.. try the netkey, but i'm not sure if that will give you enough feedback.

12. reaper thread starter macrumors 6502

I've noticed that some of the usb mac keyboards out there still have the power button like the older mac keyboards used to have. Does that actually work on newer macs and does it have the same function? Because I just use my studio display to turn the computer on.

- reaper