Good LCD Displays w/ TV Tuner?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Over Achiever, Dec 4, 2002.

1. macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I recently found this online surfing U.K. sites...new from samsung.

Click me for detailed specs
    Click me for price

I dunno the conversion rate...2177 pounds is how much USD?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. thread starter macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Cheaper systems...

Closer to the average user's price range is the Cornea CT1702T
    [​IMG]
    and the Envision EN-7500
    [​IMG]
    These cost from $500 (if you know where to look ;)) to $700...not bad considering they're 17" LCDs. The Cornea one has analog and digital inputs, envision is only analog (but is cheaper).

So, any other moniters like them out there that I missed? ^_^

3. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

£1 = $1.5, but often with technology we are totally shafted in the UK with £1=$1!

4. macrumors 68000

lmalave

Re: Cheaper systems...

I have this monitor and it's sweet. I don't even use it that often with my iBook (since I rarely sit at my desk), I use it primarily as a television. The best thing about it is all the inputs it has: coaxial cable (for the TV tuner) and VGA, plus also DVI, S-Video, and composite video. Can't beat this value for under $600!

5. macrumors G3

:p :p :p ain't that the truth!!

6. thread starter macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Interesting...found a 17" (1280 x 768 or 16:9) with a TV tuner. Anyone heard of this company? Spectre X75V-Naga. It may not be as sleek, but the specs aren't bad. :)

[​IMG]

7. macrumors G4

I don't think it has a tuner (but you can hook an el cheapo VCR to it) but have you seen that new 17" widescreen LCD from Sony?

Wow.

I saw it at Circuit City and even though it doesn't have a DVI input, it was one of the crispest displays I've seen from a VGA input.

Go check one out if you haven't seen it yet, I've seen them at Best Buy too.

8. thread starter macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Which one are you talking about? Because this definately has a tuner (antenna in), DVI input and VGA input, and is cheaper ($649 if you know where to look ;)) than the Sony one (I think the Sony is $999, correct me if I'm wrong).

9. macrumors G4

Yeah it is kinda pricey, a bit much for a 17" widescreen display with only 1280x768 rez Vthinks, but it still has a great picture for a VGA input.

[​IMG]
    Just another option to look at.

10. thread starter macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Cool thanks, thats the reason I started this thread...to explore options. :)

11. macrumors G4

I was going to recommend getting a good LCD and this additional box from Viewsonic, but it's $399 so add that to a good LCD with dual inputs and you're paying more for the whole setup than you would be if you bought one with a tuner already in it.

[​IMG]

It's got some pretty sweet specs and a lot of connectivity options too.

If it was about $150 cheaper it would be a pretty good option I think.

12. thread starter macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

A cheaper model, sold at BestBuy.com.

[​IMG]

It isn't cutting edge (only supports up to 1024x768 :(), but it does only cost $130 ;)

13. macrumors 68000

lmalave

I have also used this model (used it for over a year before I got my Cornea 17" w/ built-in TV Tuner). It's a very nice little unit. Handles VGA, S-Video, Composit, or coaxial cable input, and has VGA output. I would recommend this if you just want to use your existing monitor as a TV (or go for a bargain-basement 15" LCD).

I still like my wall mounted 17" LCD though :D

[edit]
    An interesting note: I haven't owned a real TV since I bought the Toshiba Infinia multimedia PC in 1996. After that died (in 1999), I bought an ATI all-in-one card for my next PC. Then over a year ago I bought the Viewsonic TV tuner mentioned above. Then finally I got the LCD with built-in TV a couple months ago. Using a computer as a TV is great for small spaces (bedroom, dorm room, or, in my case, small studio apartment). TV's are just waaaaaay too big, and flat screens are nice but they are still way too expensive. I'll get a real TV when they have 25" or bigger flat screens for less than $1000.

14. thread starter macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Imalave,

Does the Cornea support PIP (Picture in Picture)? I can't find it saying that in the specs anywhere.

Thanks.

15. macrumors 68000

lmalave

No, it doesn't.

16. macrumors 68000

lmalave

I just looked at the specs for the Viewsonic NextVision N6 - I see where you got the picture-in-picture idea. Up to 9 simultaneous channels. Nice! Also, it supports an HDTV signal (I don't know anything about HDTV, but it soundslike you need a separat "HDTV set-top box in addition to the TV Tuner". Maybe I'll get something like this a few years down the road when it comes with a built-in HDTV tuner and everything is broadcast in HDTV. For now I don't miss the PIP since I barely even watch one channel (mainly just the HBO shows, news, and the occasional sports event), much less 9 channels. $399 is steep, too - I would only be willing to pay about $200 for just a tuner box....

17. macrumors 6502

Wow... did you say 2177 pounds...

Just buy a big un (HD Display) from uncle Walton for about 400 pounds. It's kind of like getting obsessed over zip discs with RW CDs in play...

:cool:

18. thread starter macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Actually, the PIP is was considering is to have that PC as the main display with TV as the PIP...seems quite convienent to me :)