good lesson to learn

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Voltron, May 18, 2004.

1. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Naw, the moral of the story is, "Don't let the (Bleeping) grasshopper know what you're doing."

Correlative word of warning: Other people's jealousy can burn your billfold.

(Had an Austintatious city planner type tell me one time when we were discussing my plans to subdivide some land into larger-than-ususal lots, "But, it's not *right* for them to have so much land!" I guess it wasn't right for me to fatten my billfold off of willing buyers, either.)

Shame that pore ol' grasshopper couldn't get him a day job...

'Rat

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Reasoning by analogy is a sure sign of having a weak argument.

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Quien sabe? Maybeso, maybeno, Milo. Analogies can be fun, though. The ant/grashopper thing is drawn from real life in modern America; the analogy is merely an effort to make a point with a bit of a chuckle instead of crying...

:), 'Rat

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the ant/grasshopper thing is not drawn from real life in modern America. The ant/grasshopper thing is drawn from a old fable and ascribed onto modern America.

I agree that analogies are lots of fun, and enjoy making them too. But trying to argue by analogy almost never makes sense, not matter how good it may sound.

But, to be overspecific (as I am) Voltron wasn't making an argument, he was just trying to provoke a discussion. So fair enough.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

:) Aesop? I get rusty about stuff I learned fifty or sixty years ago...

Thing is, there's just enough truth in stuff like that, that somebody creates an analogy. Jesse Jackson has played the race card against various corporations to get money. People on this board have expressed antipathy toward the wealthy merely for being wealthy. And I regularly see people who fit the grasshopper pattern as to their behavior, while expressing resentment against the successes of "ants".

I dunno. My primary gripe, often, is the implication that "all" have some characteristic and the notion of "some" is ignored. Doesn't matter whether one is talking about grasshopper types, Islamics or businessmen.

'Rat

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Don't forget progressives and conservationists! ;) We get lumped into one big ball too.

Oh and don't forget, we've also heard people express hatred of the poor just because they are poor. Things go both ways.

8. radhak macrumors regular

agreed. i thought that story was pretty fun too, and but for that moral at the end, might have been enjoyed by everybody ;)