Good linux primer...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by reaper, Jun 2, 2004.

1. reaper macrumors 6502

Okay, so I have had my first mac now for almost a year and I think I've opened Terminal a total of 3 times, and two of those were by accident. :eek: Mostly I have avoided it because of fear (I am a Windows convert who has never used linux or unix before).

However, reading these forums has given me some new insight into the situation (and the wonderful things that are possible through the Terminnal) and I want to start understanding the nature of this beast a little more. So, I was wondering if anyone had some good recommendations for some books, web-pages, etc. that would be a good primer (and beyond) for learning linux/unix?

Also, if there is anything that is just basic knowledge that I should have (and that you would be willing to impart to a complete noob), I would appreciate that too. I can't wait to start exploring the underpinnings of the os, I just have to get over my fear first! :D

Thanks.

- reaper

2. Ph4lynx macrumors member

3. reaper thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm in the process of starting to read through that page now. Great stuff! Thanks.

- reaper

4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

top -- displays all active processes
    df -h -- show avaliable disk space
    uptime -- how long you computer has been on
    rm -- remove files
    ssh [username]@[ip address] -- connect to a remote computer
    sudo -- enable root access (WARNING - becareful what you type after sudo)
    ls -- display folders or files in a given directory (ex. "ls desktop" will show you all files on the desktop
    ftp -- connect to a ftp server

those are pretty common commands, try asking HexMonkey about this. He knows alot about unix commands.

5. reaper thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome! Thanks a lot. Will do.

- reaper

6. reaper thread starter macrumors 6502

Quick question. Just tried the uptime command and it said that there were 2 users, but I am the only person that uses this computer. Is that normal?

Also, I tried the command "users" hoping that would work (and it did!), and it just lists my user name. Dunno what's up.

- reaper

7. Ph4lynx macrumors member

Yes there are 2 users
    yourself and the root account

Read the document i posted before for more information

Glad i could be of some help :)