Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nukiduz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Hi everyone,

My 2009 MBP is actually making me work slower so it's time for a new computer. I'll probably wait for the release of the new MBP but I'm also doubting if the MB will be enough for my needs. In Mac OS I don't do anything too intensive, other than leave many Chrome tabs open and occasional photoshopping. I also use a CAT Tool called memoQ which unfortunately only exists in Windows so I virtualize with VirtualBox while also using Chrome with many tabs open.
Do you think the Macbook could handle these tasks easily? Would it last me at least 4 years? Thanks for your opinions :)

nukiduz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Already did that a couple of years ago. The computer is doing much better but the fans are fired up the whole time while virtualizing and Windows runs slow.

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
As a translator my workstation is a 2015 5k 27" iMac (with Parallels for Windows for MemoQ and SDL Trados Studio), and a 12" Macbook (without Parallels, I just use Back to my Mac if needed). It works fine for me. I used laptops for years, but figured out I work 99% of the time behind my desk anyway. Yet I do like the flexibility, so the Macbook is perfect for on the go, holidays etc (you know a translator's job is never finished).

linguist

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
Hi everyone,

My 2009 MBP is actually making me work slower so it's time for a new computer. I'll probably wait for the release of the new MBP but I'm also doubting if the MB will be enough for my needs. In Mac OS I don't do anything too intensive, other than leave many Chrome tabs open and occasional photoshopping. I also use a CAT Tool called memoQ which unfortunately only exists in Windows so I virtualize with VirtualBox while also using Chrome with many tabs open.
Do you think the Macbook could handle these tasks easily? Would it last me at least 4 years? Thanks for your opinions :)

I have 2009 macbook upgraded to 4GB ram and SSD, Virtualbox is super slow compared to Parallels, so software update is biggest boost. Next on the list is disk I/O boost for VM followed with more RAM, 4GB is too limiting but works ok with Windows XP set to 1.2GB usage. At times still get too hot for my liking, fan get too loud too often when pushed hard. Another problem with 2009 macbook is the GPU performance when using laptop and external monitor. When app window span across two monitor, screen update become really slow.

compared with using Parallels on my g/f macbook air 13" 2014 4GB RAM (1.4 Ghz i5), better but I prefer 8GB RAM min would swap less to disk when pushed hard. No noticeable fan noise for my workload so far. No multi monitor slowdown.

2015/2016 Macbook + Parallels / VMware would be slightly slower CPU wise compared to Macbook air. Heat should be manageable, RAM 8GB min is good and disk I/O very good. I say comparable performance.

newer windows version use more CPU resource in VM so keep that in mind. XP is noticeable faster than win 7, win 7 noticeably faster than win 8.

4 years might be pushing it a bit for heavy VM / multitasking with newer windows version.

nukiduz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
I have 2009 macbook upgraded to 4GB ram and SSD, Virtualbox is super slow compared to Parallels, so software update is biggest boost. Next on the list is disk I/O boost for VM followed with more RAM, 4GB is too limiting but works ok with Windows XP set to 1.2GB usage. At times still get too hot for my liking, fan get too loud too often when pushed hard. Another problem with 2009 macbook is the GPU performance when using laptop and external monitor. When app window span across two monitor, screen update become really slow.

compared with using Parallels on my g/f macbook air 13" 2014 4GB RAM (1.4 Ghz i5), better but I prefer 8GB RAM min would swap less to disk when pushed hard. No noticeable fan noise for my workload so far. No multi monitor slowdown.

2015/2016 Macbook + Parallels / VMware would be slightly slower CPU wise compared to Macbook air. Heat should be manageable, RAM 8GB min is good and disk I/O very good. I say comparable performance.

newer windows version use more CPU resource in VM so keep that in mind. XP is noticeable faster than win 7, win 7 noticeably faster than win 8.

4 years might be pushing it a bit for heavy VM / multitasking with newer windows version.

Thank you very, your answer addressed all my questions and more. I found a good deal for a refurbished model and am waiting for it to arrive :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.