Good LORD... X-Men FOR REAL!!!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jrv3034, Jan 16, 2004.

1. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Odd, very odd .... I'd love to see some tests done on this and a better description of what she 'sees'.

Could be cool though. :D

D

3. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm thinking it might be some kind of psychic ability more than actual x-ray vision. Sort of she can sense what is in there and where everything is. I don't know... I wonder if it's only on people, or if she can also see through walls.:confused:

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

lemme know when she starts flyin' around the room, k?

5. pooky macrumors 6502

Don't get your hopes up. Just based on the way the story's written, I'd say attention-getting scam. I've been wrong before, though...

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If they put you to work driving a snowmobile at age 3, you might turn out to be a little odd too.

7. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

8. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My favorite part:

"Natasha started to talk when she was only 6 months old. At 1, she could already recite Pushkin and Nekrasov by heart. By 3, Natasha mastered the alphabet and learned to operate a snowmobile."

Can she say "John Travolta"?:D

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A very interesting story indeed. They need to devise a real test. Possibly a patient that has had surgery. If it was a blind test, she would have no prior knowledge of the subject. With true x-ray vision she should be able to discribe the diffferences as noted.

10. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Can we say, "Chernobyl"?

OR

Alien cross-breeding?

Hmmmm.........:rolleyes:

~e

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Kidding aside, we humans see the so-called "visible" part of the spectrum. There must be a little variation from person to person, so it makes sense that now and then a person will see something on the infrared or ultraviolet side of the spectrum that most people can't see. I wonder if anybody has studied this and whether it gives you any practical skill to have your visible spectrum be a little off the normal scale. Having "x-ray vision" could just be an extreme form of this variation.

12. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

It's a crock.

Even if she could see X-rays, you'd need an xray generator behind the body she was staring at.

Something would either have to be emitting from the body (or passing through) for her eyes to see anything.

Could be she's lost or mind (or psychic- same thing)...

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Near IR can let you see heat sources, near UV isn't all that useful unless you're a bee looking at flowers :D

Maybe its more than *seeing* with her eyes - the images might not come from them, just get processed in the same part of the brain.

But regardless, they didn't provide enough info on how she sees through the body, is it only human tissue, or can she see through wood, metal, etc.

Sounds like a scam of some sort - or just attention getting.

D

14. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Like most of you, i am VERY skeptical BUT cosidering that we use something like 7 percent of our Brain capacity, it is very possible that we can do and be much more that what we presently believe to be in the eyes of today's world or present knowledge. I think we are capable of some spectacular things. Unfortuneately we haven't developed to that point yet BUT I do believe a freak occurance is quite possible. Just like a child prodigy or someone with psychic abilities.

A little Skepticism is healthy BUT too much Skepticism is blinding.

~e

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A nice scholarly explanation Doctor Q. I will wait for further investigation on the matter before making a final judgement.

16. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I dont think its any kind of psychic power (if psychic powers excist at all). If psychic powers were real, then would have to be based on the rules of this universe, just like if this childs powers are real, they have to be based on the laws of physics.

If it is real I expect it is some kind of sonar/ultra sound ability, a bit like bats have which let them see.

But seeing as it is from Russia, it looks like it might be a fake (poor mother trying to get attention and money).

17. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I just think we only use 7% of our brains storage space, not processing power. This is because as you get older the amount of the brain that you uses goes up (but it does decline after you get to a certain age). This might be because you have stored more information.

18. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

pardon my ignorance, but is the washington times a reputable newspaper?

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

What is the scientific explanation for how Superman does it?

20. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

lol. I just kryptonited my pants... :D

21. wHo_tHe macrumors regular

Washington Times = UPI = Unification church

It's owned by the Unification church (Rev. Sun Myung Moon, i.e., the "Moonies") and operated largely as a voice of conservatism. They also now own UPI (United Press International), who ostensibly authored this story.

Sadly, UPI was once a top-level news service, is now basically crap not to be trusted or believed.

It'd be cool if it was true, though.

22. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

no, we are using every one of the neurons in our brains. however, our potential has not yet been reached, obviously, and that 7% or whatever (you cant really say exactly what it is) is just to show that we have not yet come close to reaching that potential.

23. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

That regularly quoted, extremely low number has to do with how much of our brain we are using at any one time. To use more than that at once would lead to sensory overload, signals crossing, convulsions, seizures, etc.

That's all we're supposed to use. That's how much any mammal uses on the average.

24. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Hence your anwser.

Think outside the box. Think potential and not limitations. The capacity is there but we haven't develop to that point yet BUT it will. Unfortuneately not in our lifetime. The beautiful thing is that there some exceptional people that come along every once in a while that kinda give us a glimpse of our potential.

~e