Good Mac vs. PC Comparison

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ensign Paris, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

The mac is a ferrari, or a BMW or Mercedes. Beautiful design, elegant, versatile, intuitive. Great fit and finish and attention to detail.

While a PC with the latest overheated athlon and windows is like a dragster or souped up hotrod that goes faster but only in a straight line, might blow up heading down the dragstrip and has to pushed by people at the end of the strip in order to be turned around and needs a team of mechanics.

-----

I think that is the best Mac/PC car comparison I have ever seen (taken from ihateapple.com)

Ensign

2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Re: Good Mac vs. PC Comparison

We've done this so many times...

Don't equate Apple with Ferrari. Ferraris are unreliable. BMW M and Porsche are good parallels to Apple, not the fastest, but the most reliable.

Mercedes are a bit slow, and very corporate, better equated with IBM's very well made ThinkPads.

A water cooled dual Athlon is like a Lamborghini, fast as all get-up, when it works.

A single Athlon is like a Ferrari (see above).

A P4 is like a Corvette, made of plastic, all your neighbors have one, but you still think it makes your ***** bigger.

The Apple/auto anologies relate to everything in the consumer world. Those with taste will pay more for the better item, whether for style, engineering, or comfort.

Those lacking in taste will always strive to have the bigger/better/faster/more.

Its Rolex vs. Patek. Its rack vs. tailored. Its First Class vs. private plane. Its couch vs. sofa. Its Leica vs. Canon. Its dry clean vs. permanent press. Its Dom Perignon vs. Bollinger. Its vinyl vs. CD. Its about caring, and wanting the best, knowing that it costs more, and knowing that some people will always tell you that you could have gotten something cheaper.

It has also been flogged to death, so I suggest we quietly let this thread die...

3. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I know its been done many times before thats why the title says:

Good Mac vs. PC Comparison

This is because most of the others suck,

Ensign

4. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Best comparison between mac and pc I've ever seen.
    :D :D

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Apple and AMD

I think AMD makes a fine chip, especially compare to the crap that intel pumps out. I have an AMD chip (XP2100+) inside the game pc that I built, and it runs nice and cool. Then again, I am NOT one of those overclocking fools (that need to in order to make their system more usable).

Both Apple and AMD make a very good product (superior to the competition, at least in my mind) but often get snubbed by those that do not know how good they are.

I told a guy the other night at Best Buy (when I was getting the new AC) to NOT get a system with an intel chip. To get one with an AMD processor. I also told him to look at what Apple has to offer. He wants to import video (from tape) into a computer and burn dvd's (something that the Mac can do no problem). I started talking peecee, to make sure he knew I know my sh*t, and then asked if he had considered Apple. He hadn't, so I started pointing out the pro's and how just about everything he will need comes in most of the Mac systems... I told him to go to one of the three Apple stores within an hour drive of where we were and check things out. I also suggested getting some magazines and comparing the different peecee systems to each other, and then get an Apple magazine (like MacWorld). I also told him to NOT get a dell, hp or compaq system, especially if he wants something that will last... Another strength of Apple... long life span. :D

I just hope he does, and gets a Mac system.