Good Mail 2.0 Notifier?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wes, May 16, 2005.

1. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I've decided to give Mail 2.0 a chance in tiger and I need a good way of passively checking for mail, saving me the ram footprint of mail being open all the time. To the point, do you know of a good menubar, or dashboard, applet that'll do this, and is Tiger-compatible?

Thanks for any help in the right direction.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have a look around here but I couldn't personally find anything. You might have more luck. However, I just leave Mail running the whole time in the background and it only uses about 45MB of real memory, which is about the same as two widgets which are also only running in the background (not all that much). I really wouldn't worry about it using up resources

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Not sure what you're asking. Are you looking for an app that will run instead of mail telling you when you have new mail? If so, what accounts are you using? GMail is pretty well provided for in that respect.

Or are you looking for a mail notifier, which works in conjunction with Mail? If so, wait for Mail Appetizer to be updated. Developer says he's working on a fix and it really is a superb bit of software.

4. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

5. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

I was looking for a notifier to use with my Mail accounts and Mail Appetizer looks very good, I hope it's not too long before a fix is out.

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I've been waiting since Tiger was released, it's prob the one thing about Panther I really miss! Hopefully it won't be too long either but the developer isn't giving out a lot of feedback.