Good MIDI Controller

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by beatsme, Feb 6, 2006.

1. macrumors 65816

beatsme

can anybody recommend a good MIDI keyboard? Something not too expensive, perhaps? I don't need a ton of keys or effects, as I am not a keyboard player. I just want something that's easy to use with GarageBand and will save me the trouble of putting together a software instrument section note-by-note.

Thanks

2. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

First concept -- a MIDI controller won't have any effects (or sounds) unless it also has a sound module built in.

M-Audio and Edirol make most of the reasonably priced MIDI controllers. You could also use a Casio or Yamaha or (?) home keyboard that had a MIDI output.

You pay more for: more keys, higher quality key action, extra control features (knobs, sliders, etc), built in audio interfaces, and built in sounds.

3. macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I have an M-Audio MIDI controller that I love. I have a 61 key O2 controller. It was only 100 dollars I believe, and it works flawlessly with Mac OS X + Garageband.

My only problem is the keys aren't weighted like a piano's keys, but to get that effect, you're going to be spending much more than 100 dollars. As you said, you are not a keyboard player anyway so this will work perfectly for you. I'd really look into the O2.

4. macrumors newbie

I have the 17 powerbook working garageband v1.1 and the 25 key m-audio controller.
    being my first starter keyboard it is a great...plug and play.

The only problem im having is that I cant assign any of the programmable controllers to anything apart from track volume,modulation and pan!
    Ive been through all the midi cc's but I was hoping to be able to control the transport controls from the keyboard....
    If this is down to garageband or the o2 im unsure....

5. macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I use an M-Audio Oxygen 8

and I love it

best thing I ever purchased, besides my Mac

6. macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Definitely go with M-Audio, they make incredible products. It didn't work well with my PC, but it's flawless with my mac. Yo.. el love it.

7. macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

The music director at my church wants to get Finale. She already has a nice keyboard, so all she needs is a way to get from Midi into a new mac I am going to get for her (a cheap Mac Mini since Finale is all she is going to be using it for)
    Any thoughts on the USB Uno?