Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
can anybody recommend a good MIDI keyboard? Something not too expensive, perhaps? I don't need a ton of keys or effects, as I am not a keyboard player. I just want something that's easy to use with GarageBand and will save me the trouble of putting together a software instrument section note-by-note.

Thanks

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
First concept -- a MIDI controller won't have any effects (or sounds) unless it also has a sound module built in.

M-Audio and Edirol make most of the reasonably priced MIDI controllers. You could also use a Casio or Yamaha or (?) home keyboard that had a MIDI output.

You pay more for: more keys, higher quality key action, extra control features (knobs, sliders, etc), built in audio interfaces, and built in sounds.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
I have an M-Audio MIDI controller that I love. I have a 61 key O2 controller. It was only 100 dollars I believe, and it works flawlessly with Mac OS X + Garageband.

My only problem is the keys aren't weighted like a piano's keys, but to get that effect, you're going to be spending much more than 100 dollars. As you said, you are not a keyboard player anyway so this will work perfectly for you. I'd really look into the O2.

bandit1200

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2006
I have the 17 powerbook working garageband v1.1 and the 25 key m-audio controller.
being my first starter keyboard it is a great...plug and play.

The only problem im having is that I cant assign any of the programmable controllers to anything apart from track volume,modulation and pan!
Ive been through all the midi cc's but I was hoping to be able to control the transport controls from the keyboard....
If this is down to garageband or the o2 im unsure....

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Definitely go with M-Audio, they make incredible products. It didn't work well with my PC, but it's flawless with my mac. Yo.. el love it.

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
The music director at my church wants to get Finale. She already has a nice keyboard, so all she needs is a way to get from Midi into a new mac I am going to get for her (a cheap Mac Mini since Finale is all she is going to be using it for)
Any thoughts on the USB Uno?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.