Good Monitor for pro video and photo

Discussion in 'Mac Peripherals' started by mayer chalom, Dec 17, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello. This will be my first post on the mac forums.
    I do video edit professionally on my 8 core mac pro as well as stills. I have the original 20' apple cinema display, but I am looking for a higher res display and I really don''t want to spend that much dough as I am in the process of upgrading photo/video equipment.
    I know the differences in quality between TN screens, and high quality IPS screens.
    Would a 1920x1080 res suffice. I really don't want to spend more than 300 bucks. I know I may sound like an noob but please what are the cheapest highest quality/res for the price.

2. macrumors 6502a

Personally I'd stick with the 20" ACD and save up until you get some cash to buy a better monitor. The HP LP2475 can be had for around $450, it is an ips. Or since you are editing video and photos, you should save up and look into a 30" screen. 30" is just magical...

3. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

For video you need an broadcast monitor fed via an I/O device like an Matrox MXO2 or a card from AJA or Blackmagic. Watching your FCP window on a computer monitor fed by your Mac's GFX card will be inaccurate for a number of different reasons.

Lethal

4. macrumors 6502a

A Matrox itself would be a little over the $300 mark. :D

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies

In my mac pro I already have a blackmagic intensity pro (el cheapo) video card connected to a 30' 720p sony (i don't have the model #) tv. It's no broadcast solution but it is nice for viewing a final product and I find it more accurate than the final cut viewer sometimes.