Good Mouse for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maik, Jul 30, 2005.

1. maik macrumors newbie

I am searching for a good and cheap usb-mouse for my first mac, ibook :p. The Logitech models are attracting my attention and they have many good models. Any other options, Microsoft? The mouse should be priced around 25-40 € and cordless..

The thing that is bothering me is that the system requirements are odd. The models I have been looking for seem to support only up to Mac OS X version 10.3.5. Do they work with Tiger 10.4 even though it isnt mentioned there?

Thanks for your answers! Any help wanted :)..

2. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

I like my MX-510 but I'm using it on a PC. Logitech just released the MX-518. These mouse including most of the other Logitech mice should work just fine with Tiger 10.4.X.

3. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Why havn't you considered the Mac Pro mouse?

::20ROGERSC::

4. el greenerino macrumors regular

haha, i think that's what he's trying to get away from

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

But it's his/her first Mac. :confused:

6. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I just bought the Logitech MX1000 and got it in the mail a few days ago. It uses Laser which apparently allows it to work on more surfaces.(I used it on a carpet and the movement was as fluid as any other mouse I've used!) It's wireless and i love the ability to program 10 buttons. It's got everything I highly suggest you check it out here don't pay that price though. I was able to get mine for 40.00 after rebate at staples they however don't have this deal anymore but I'm sure somewhere does that is comparable, good luck and search the rest of the forum as this topic has been addressed extensively!

7. itgoesbuzz macrumors regular

i agree, i just bought mine for my powerbook at best buy for $50 and it has been awesome

8. .Joel macrumors member

I have a logitech MX510, awsome mouse for the mac. And logitech also supply Mac Drivers on both the CD and their Website. The logitech MX518 is an updated version of the MX510, with higher resolution etc.

I would steer away from the MX1000 untill atleast a Rev 2.0 of it comes out etc. I work for a large retailer here in Australia, over the past month we have pushed more then 200 of these things out the door, and over 15 have come back under warranty. Thats not a good ratio compared to the MX518 which we just pushed 115th on our sales audit last week, and yet to see one come back ;)

That said, the MX1000 is a fantastic mouse, but cheaper to buy it in the MX3100 kit where you get the keyboard aswell ;)

9. zcohan macrumors newbie

Kensington Pilot Mouse

I was in an apple store the other day and on a whim purchased a wired Kensington optical pro mouse. I was amazed at how smooth it was, compared to the cruddy microsoft mouse i had before and it has these cool rubber things on the side to hang on to.

10. aljawad macrumors regular

aljawad

With my PowerBook I use the Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse - the wired version, I understand there is a non-bluetooth wireless version.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The lack of buttons is well-known among non-Mac users :rolleyes:

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Too true. They don't realise an OS can work with merely one button. :(

13. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I really like my Microsoft Optical Scroll Mouse. Its simple (2 button w/scroll wheel), sleek, cheap, and has so far lasted me about 5 years! Cant complain about that can you?!

I personally don't like the Apple Pro mouse, it gives me hand cramp after about 30 mins, and coming from the wonderful world of Windows, I'm so used to a 2-button mouse.

14. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

I have a Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse that requires a single AA battery every ... well, after over a month of use has yet to conk out. There's an antenna that sticks out of a USB port and the neat thing about that is, the antenna has a rotating part should the Firewire port be needed.

Best mouse I ever used; it has two buttons, a scroll wheel, and if you press down on the wheel, it clicks as it is a third button.

15. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

I also use the Mx510 and i LOVE it although i use it for gaming and it is not wireless....I found out that a wireless mouse sucks for gaming because it runs out of batteries and it just doesn't respond as well, for my PB i use the apple mouse, i HAD the wired one and it was great and now i have the bluetooth one that i use cause i travel alot and i LOVE it

16. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

it's a little bit off topic but I bought the Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer in Blue at CompUSA. I discovered only the next day that they had charged only 19.95 instead of 49.95. so i ended up with a good mouse for cheap. if you have a compusa around you could check if this mouse is generally available for 19.95.

btw: why is microsoft not using bluetooth but their own reciever? the mouse works like a charm and no software is needed. i just can't see the reason for a non bluetooth reciever when many people already have bluetooth.

andi

17. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

$49.99 at BestBuy after instant rebates incase anyone was wondering!

18. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

microsoft intelimouse 3.0 or something... $30 at costco. very reliable, really like the feel. wireless :D

19. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I have MX1000 Laser, MX 900 BT, MX 510, V500 cordless notebook mouse, other Logitech mouses, Targus mouses, Kensignton mouses, and MS Intelimouse. So far, I like MX1000, MX510, and V500. If Logitech starts supporiing OS X for MX900 BT, that mouse will be used more often. I am alway in quest for accurate and comfortable mouse to make the computing experience more pleasant.

20. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

The MX1000 bar none. It may not seem worth it, but it is. The comfort, the accuracy, the lack of delay are all well worth the money...

21. mynameisjesse macrumors member

i was looking into this mousethis mouse. does anyone know about it?

22. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

A lot of people really like those MX mice from logitech... I guess I could understand how it feels really comfortable for most people, but my hands are pretty small so it feels quite bulky. Those "mini" mice from Kensington and whatnot actually feel just right for me. :eek: But if I were to get another mouse, it would have to be a BT one.

23. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I like my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (corded, not wireless). It has a smooth scroll wheel that also rocks left and right so you can scroll horizontally. It also has two buttons on the side that you can program on an application by application basis. In fact, you can program basically any of the mouse's features on a per application basis. It's a nice feeling mouse. Beware though, if you're left handed it won't be comfortable.

24. maik thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I bought one yesterday. It is a Logitech Notebook Optical Mouse Plus. The reason I bought it was that I got a cool carrying case for my ibook too :p. ONLY 39.99 €, BOTH :D!! Those bargains are so frightening sometimes.. You just have to buy because it feels cheap. Hopefully the mouse will do well. Any experiences of that?

25. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Hope you enjoy your mac and welcome to the nice side of the computer experience , terve! ;)