Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Re: Good news for PB 12 and 17 owners (RAM)

Originally posted by WannabeSQ
a german company now has 1gb DDR memory chips available. The PC 2100 ones are available now with the 2700 ones will be out shortly.

Here is a google translation of the german page

so you can now get 1.1gb of ram in a 12" pbook and 2gb in a 17. Woo hoo

-WannabeSQ

The moment I was waiting for. Thanks for the heads-up!

I wonder how that will work, the ceiling for the 12PB's MoBo is 1gb (1024mb), and that isn't the issue until it's considered that there are 2 DIMM slots, and slot 0 has a 128mb DIMM in it. If you install a 1gb DIMM in slot 1, and the ceiling is 1gb, what happens to the remaining 128mb?

This is a grey area for me, as I've not really hit the ceiling on the MoBos I've owned.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
not sure on the total, but the apple system profiler picture they have shows a 128mb built in and a 1024mb dimm, but still, who cares if 128mb gets lost, i mean, a gig of ram is plenty IMO for a laptop.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
apple engineneers have already announced that powerbooks would not take these chips if they ever were made.

iJon

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
not sure on the total, but the apple system profiler picture they have shows a 128mb built in and a 1024mb dimm, but still, who cares if 128mb gets lost, i mean, a gig of ram is plenty IMO for a laptop.

-WannabeSQ

I agree with your sentiments completely, my main concern is I don't want to drop money on something that's going to farg my lovely little fingerprint-loving PB up in some way.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: Re: Good news for PB 12 and 17 owners (RAM)

Originally posted by patrick0brien
-WannabeSQ

The moment I was waiting for. Thanks for the heads-up!

I wonder how that will work, the ceiling for the 12PB's MoBo is 1gb (1024mb), and that isn't the issue until it's considered that there are 2 DIMM slots, and slot 0 has a 128mb DIMM in it. If you install a 1gb DIMM in slot 1, and the ceiling is 1gb, what happens to the remaining 128mb?

This is a grey area for me, as I've not really hit the ceiling on the MoBos I've owned.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
12 inch powerbooks and ibooks only have 1 ram slot, the 128 is soldered onto the mothboard.

iJon

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
Originally posted by iJon
apple engineneers have already announced that powerbooks would not take these chips if they ever were made.

iJon

then how do they explain the pictures they have of it installed and the system profiler? Looks like it works to a layman like me.

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Re: Good news for PB 12 and 17 owners (RAM)

a german company now has 1gb DDR memory chips available. The PC 2100 ones are available now with the 2700 ones will be out shortly.

Here is a google translation of the german page

so you can now get 1.1gb of ram in a 12" pbook and 2gb in a 17. Woo hoo

The 12” PowerBook can only have 640MB of RAM and the 17” can only support 1GB, so buying these chips would be a waste of money, unless there is a firmware update for them in the future!!

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
well here are their pictures

pb1gb.jpg

and

1gbmodul.jpg

make of them what you will, but to me it looks like it works.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
then how do they explain the pictures they have of it installed and the system profiler? Looks like it works to a layman like me.
i wont argue, pictures are worth a thousand words. good info. i was just stating that i thought apple said that, didnt know if it was accurate or not.

iJon

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Re: Re: Good news for PB 12 and 17 owners (RAM)

Originally posted by xrhajj
The 12” PowerBook can only have 640MB of RAM and the 17” can only support 1GB, so buying these chips would be a waste of money...

-xrhajj

Not true.

The MoBo of the 12 has a 1gb [theoretical] RAM ceiling.

The 17 has a 2gb [theoretical] RAM ceiling.

You just need the DIMMs to transform theoretical into factual.

The statistics you quote are true - right now because the DIMMs that will achieve the currently theoretical limits don't exist yet, and they cannot legally say 1gb RAM in the 12PB until one can actually do it.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
price is roughly 800 bucks, i dont think they will be selling very many.

iJon

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-WannabeSQ

I'd like to see an "About This Macintosh" pic to see what the machine did to the RAM beyond the ceiling.

price is roughly 800 bucks- iJon

Ooooouch!

Well, I'm sure that'll come down soon enough.

I eagerly await the inevitable reports to see how this shakes out.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by Foxer
All these screenshots and product are in Germany. Maybe those are metric MBs, which are about 3/5 the size of ours.

-Foxer

Oh, and while we're talking about it, the Germans use Metric time, so what that translates to is your machine will run 2/5 faster!

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
I wish that everything *I* put a little white sticker on were true.

I'll put a little white sticker on my Pismo RAM here...2 GB each should do it...(applies sticker)... YEP it shows in the system profiler that it worked! 4GB in my Pismo!

Seriously though - 800 clams is a lot.

I wouldn't be shocked if it worked b/c Apple says that my Pismo here only goes up to 512 and thanks to Crucial.com, it's 1GB now. So hey, anything's possible.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
nice photoshopping. i can tell cause the labels you put on do not follow the curve of the label. also they are not perspectived enough. but still all minor flaws aside, a pretty dang good photoshop.

BTW: when will these chips be available in full-size? who care about pbooks if the pmacs cant do it too. :D

really, any time frame for full size 1GB chips. or do they already exist (PC2700)???

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
here is a picture of my own ASP on top of the one above. I think that this is a glorious day for macs with 1.83Ghz processors. oh! wait - i have two of them.

(It is an o/c DP867. ASP just detects it wrong. those procs are actually at 1.083Ghz :D)

Attachments

• asp.jpg
    asp.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 297

hacurio1

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2002
Originally posted by Foxer
All these screenshots and product are in Germany. Maybe those are metric MBs, which are about 3/5 the size of ours.

LOL...............it's a joke right?

altair

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by benixau
nice photoshopping. i can tell cause the labels you put on do not follow the curve of the label. also they are not perspectived enough. but still all minor flaws aside, a pretty dang good photoshop.

BTW: when will these chips be available in full-size? who care about pbooks if the pmacs cant do it too. :D

really, any time frame for full size 1GB chips. or do they already exist (PC2700)???

Hehe, I was just having some fun, spent about 10 minutes on it. It would definitely not pass any close scrutiny. but it was more intended to be sarcastic.

~altair

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.