Good Newsreader for OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Stelliform, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

OK, I still have a few Apps I need to make my switch complete. Can anyone tell me the best newsreader for OS X? I would like a native app, but a classic one would do if it were good.

I found a few, but I was unimpressed. I use Outlook Express and gravity on PC's. If anyone has a sugesstion for me to try I would appreciate it.

:)

2. nixd2001 macrumors regular

I tried HogWasher and got really frustrated. I'm currently using Thoth and generally happy with it, although it's got a few quircks and can be slow when there are 10,000s of articles unread in a group. FWIW, I used xnews under Windows, before switching :D

3. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Hogwasher rocks once you figure it out. I also use Thoth, but only because my trial of Hogwash ran out. Time to delete the prefs and reinstall :)

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Good Newsreader for OS X?

Depends what you are looking for...

MT-Newswatcher X is a long-time favorite as a news reader... this is from the OS 9 days....

If you are primarily interested in Binaries... I say Thoth. It seems to do very well... but I jumped on Thoth pretty early when there were few other OS X options available... but Thoth handles binaries/extration very well.

arn

5. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

try newsflash and halime. both are cocoa (osx native) and free! they both do an excellent job, but you'll want to check them both out to find out which is right for you.