Good old Mac OS X 10.3.9

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daveyjokes, Oct 25, 2006.

1. daveyjokes macrumors member

daveyjokes

OK, now I'm no OAP with a typewriter! However, I do still have the lovely Mac OS X 10.3.9...I never really thought the upgrade to Tiger was worth £89...but since there is the new OS coming out, do you think I should wait until it comes out and go to eBay and buy Tiger or Leapard-remember that I don't think Leapord has that many good and amazing new features, arguably, compared with the release of Tiger, or Panther for that matter. Money is a problem so obviously Tiger will be cheaper, and I have an iMac G5 512 MB RAM-nothing special Rev. A as well....so what you think, Leapord or Tiger, taking into account the conditions?

Thanks, Tom.

2. Butters macrumors 6502

3. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I run both 10.3.9 (my main mac) and tiger (on a client's mac).

I've not really deeply used tiger, but in my opinion, it's not a great improvement. the main bonus is spotlight, but I had that with Butler anyway. iWeb on tiger is nice too if you want to throw up web sites quickly.

I will definitely get Leopard (10.5) because of Time Machine - an easy to use document versions backup and retrival app is worth its weight in gold.

If you're skint, you could put out an ad for second hand Leopard disks.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Tiger is a very good upgrade from panther IMO, but panther is still very good, and if you've waited this long, you can wait a little longer for leopard.

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Yeah, wait until Leopard comes out and they buy that. Might want to upgrade your RAM though...

6. daveyjokes thread starter macrumors member

daveyjokes

yeh-the min RAM for tiger (recommended) is 512, if i remember correctly...id imagine laepoards basline will be 512, recommended 1gb...maybe, maybe not-then again look how prices change with apple....one day an iMac will cost x but the next day it will cost x/2, but with 2y features...if u get my meaning...

that was possibly the worst way of expressing myself. oh well. i gave maths up for a reaosn.

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

Tiger's got a few nifty little features that Panther doesn't, namely (for me) spotlight, .Mac syncing and Dictionary. Panther's a solid OS and if it works for you, I'd say forget about Tiger and wait for Leopard.

8. danny_w macrumors 601

I've got Tiger, primarily to stay consistent on my various machines, but I think that I really prefer Panther in most respects. If that is your case, then I would certainly wait for Leopard (at least .2 or .3) and get that instead.

9. prady16 macrumors 6502

prady16

Wait for Leopard....Just about 6 months i would say!