Good online wine stores

Discussion in 'Community' started by Applespider, May 23, 2005.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Anyone able to recommend any good online wine stores in the US? Looking for one which offers a reasonable amount of information on the wines they sell plus, ideally, the ability to make up your own mixed cases of wine.

I've found wine.com but wonder if there are any others that people would recommend? I know the reputations of UK wine sites but while Google throws up a few names, no idea how well they're regarded. Thanks

2. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Why do they have to be US ones? I'm assuming that you want to take advantage of the weak dollar, and generally lower prices but won't you have to pay shipping and duty? And wouldn't that negate any savings? Or are you looking for particular wines that you can't get here?
    Sorry this is OT, and doesn't answer your question, I'm just curious :)

3. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It's not to get them delivered over here, more's the pity, since the California range in most UK stores is decidedly limited. This is because I have friends in the US and wanted to send them a case of wine. :)

4. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

5. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

I see :) . Berry Bros ship to the US but it'll cost you, but as I'm sure you're aware they're pricey anyway but do top notch wines. Have you tried the links through Robert Parker? I can't guarantee the retailers but he's pretty reliable. There was a thread on this recently - maybe try the sites that other members were raving about? Sorry I can't be of more help :)

6. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

wow that place is close to me. I'll have to see if I can swing by there next time I am in town visiting my parents

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Why not order directly from the winery? (this depends on what state you're shipping to--not all wineries ship to all states, though the laws are currently changing)

One of my favorite wineries is Barnard Griffin. Just amazing wines, and much cheaper to order direct than to use a site like wine.com. I'd highly recommend both the Merlot and the Cabernet.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I STILL can't order wine because Maryland is a boner state.

They have tax limitations written in the law that won't allow it.

Mother effers.

9. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia