Good optical cable for MBP? Other DVI-SVIDEO converter?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by odedia, Apr 17, 2006.

1. odedia macrumors 6502a

Hi,

can anyone recommend a cable to connect my MBP to my home stereo's optical input? I don't even know how to call this type of cable. I know it is similar to SPDIF, but I think SPDIF isn't necessarily related to optical output, just digital. I don't live in the U.S., and there are no apple stores around here, so i'd appriciate a well known manufacturing company. something like sony, panasonic etc.

Also, is there a cheaper alternative for Apple's DVI to S-Video/Composite connector? They charge 43$ for it in Israel. I think it's just a ripoff considering it costs 19$/15pounds anywhere else.

Thanks.

P.S.: Don't laught but... where the heck is the delete key on my MBP?!?!?! can't find it! LOL

Oded S.

2. rob finch macrumors member

I use the cable from here on my Intel Mini, I highly recommend them. They also do the 3.5mm adaptor you need.

3. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

The delete key, as in the 'forward delete' that would be above the arrow keys on a normal keyboard? That would be Fn-Delete. If you can't find the physical delete key at all, what keyboard layout do you have (did you buy a US, French, etc. keyboard)?

4. odedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have a hebrew keyboard, but I'm pretty sure it's identical in layout to the U.S. keyboard. the keyboard is a macbook pro keyboard. i have no problem locating in on the regular imac keyboard. but here, there isn't a key with "delete" or "del" written on it.

Edit: nevermind, i got it now. i have to press Fn-backspace. Wow, this is REALLY not intuitive...

Thanks!

Oded S.

5. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Adding to the confusion is the fact that Apple calls both keys "Delete" (one forward and one backward [the one called backspace on PC keyboards]). Interesting that the Hebrew keyboard uses a "Backspace" label...

6. odedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

It does not use the "backspace" label, it's just how I call it from my PC days. :)
    This is my first mac. It rocks. :)
    Oded S.