Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smilinmonki666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
pre-ripped copies for use on media players that support DRM, good idea or bad idea?

This is what the rumour is about what Hollywood are anticipating to do with all there BluRay Movies. Personnally, I'm not too keen on the idea, because they won't put the High Quality version on as the ripped, only a shody rip for :apple:TV & iPod touch or what ever other device they incorporate? I know its illegal & all, but the MTR/ HB & VH guy's have worked so hard for us to be able to use our films in HQ via out devices.

Unless they take a leaf out of the books from the guys who create these freeware/ Shareware programs and include a HQ version included in the price, then I could be tempted due to less hassle & time be used (Lazy I know, but I'm a busy guy).

What do you all think?

secondcup

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Do you mean that they'd include a digital media file similar to the one included on the Family Guy Blue Harvest DVD?

If that's the case, I'm all for it if it saves me the time of transcoding it myself. But would they really give an inferior rip for digital media players? I'd think they'd want to provide a quality file to present their product in the best possible form.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Do you mean that they'd include a digital media file similar to the one included on the Family Guy Blue Harvest DVD?

If that's the case, I'm all for it if it saves me the time of transcoding it myself. But would they really give an inferior rip for digital media players? I'd think they'd want to provide a quality file to present their product in the best possible form.

Yeah, they'd include a digital version that could be transferred to iTunes. You're probably right though, they'd want to preserve quality

secondcup

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Yeah, they'd include a digital version that could be transferred to iTunes. You're probably right though, they'd want to preserve quality

That's my thought. If they put out an inferior transfer, it would only come back to reflect badly on the studio and the product they supply.

I think it would be great if all studios included the digital file as well as the DVD. I love my AppleTV and actually using it, but I can do without trying settings and experimenting to get the best possible rip (and yes, I understand the difference between ripping and getting a file legally).

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.