Good PC FPS?

Discussion in 'Games' started by nlf1187, Dec 25, 2006.

1. nlf1187 macrumors newbie

I'm looking to get into some PC first-person shooters (now that i've got xp running on my mbp!). I think i've got it boiled down to either Half-Life 2, Battlefield 2, or Unreal 2004.

Any recommendations on which to buy and why?

2. Accylad macrumors member

Accylad

Get counter strike source, its very addictive, and a great online game. The games may only last about 5mins each depending how long you last, but its an awesome game. Very competitive, so be warned. Its the single most thing I miss on my mac! The online interface "Steam" is excellent for updates and looking for servers.

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Definately UT2004. Its the most fun game I've ever met. It has awesome gameplay, loads of different gametypes, good graphics, runs great, one of the best AI, loads of content and much much more content on the Internet - thousands of quality maps and mods. :cool:

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I'll give another vote for Ut2004. It's the only thing I miss about my pc and it's almost got me considering buying another to run it. :D

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

single player & multiplayer then HL2 has a great single player campaign, and comes with counterstrike source and half life deathmatch for multiplayer.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Right, your asking this which makes you new at FPS games. Avoid CS:S like the plague, I'm more than capable for FPS games but even I just can't get into a decent game where 1) there are no idiots or 2) someone isn't using at least some kind of hack/mod. It's very hard to find an enjoyable game. It's free with HL2 so there's nothing to worry about :)
    HL2 Deathmatch has a much nice learning curve. Especially team deathmatches, I've had some where I've never even been killed! So long as your on a good team.

Singleplayer?

Doom 3 is worth a shot disregarding my positive opinions or everyone else's negative opinions - you should at least try it.
    Prey starts off very interesting but gets dull.
    HL2 has wonderful location variations and a solid storyline.
    Quake 4 is worth avoiding. It essentially is Doom 3 with a secondary fire button and no engrossing locations.

Probably had more fun with Duke 3D myself :p