Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angrinkin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Hi all,

I am looking for a good/secure application for storing passwords for various websites and possibly banking information (account numbers, etc). I've heard good things about 1Password, but was wondering if there were any good alternatives with nice fluid design, preferably in the Mac App Store.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Angrinkin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
What do you feel is not "fluid" about 1Password?

I've just never liked the look. It has felt dated and clunky to me for a while. I would love for it to take on a look and feel or an app like Reeder. Minimalistic and fluid.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
Another vote for 1Password.

I have tried a few different ones over time but 1Password is the best I think.

I really miss the browser plug in when using Safari on the iPad. I use it so often on my Mac. Because 1password works so well with the browser I now have different passwords for every site I go on and they are all really complicated ones.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I've used 1Password since I got my iMac in 2008 and would be lost without it. I have always been a fanatic with passwords and all of my passwords are unique, randomly generated, and long--and different for every site that requires one. 1Password makes that so easy especially when you have it on your computers and your IOS devices--and all the database files are synced.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Another vote for 1Password.

I have tried a few different ones over time but 1Password is the best I think.

I really miss the browser plug in when using Safari on the iPad. I use it so often on my Mac. Because 1password works so well with the browser I now have different passwords for every site I go on and they are all really complicated ones.

I agree about using password managers on IOS devices. I do have 1PW for iPhone and iPad, and it works ok from it's built in browser... but I dislike Apple's policy to keep IOS apps firewalled from each other. This is one reason that I use my iPad much less than my MBA or iMac.

/Jim

matankai

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
Wallet

Hello,

I use Wallet: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wallet/id404234608?mt=12

It works perfectly, has an absolutely beautiful design, and is available on the Mac App Store and iOS App Store. They also have a Safari plug-in.
Unfortunately, they were recently acquired by Facebook, so there won't be any features added, such as iCloud sync, but if you are looking for a 1Password-type app with better design, this is it.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
I have a text file on dropbox, it's secure imho. It goes like this,

Say your passwords usually contain these words: "michaeljordan", "air", "23" and "12345". The idea is to never write these words down on your text file but
only hints for you that you can understand.

A password that requires 10 digits could be,
"michaeljordan"
in your text file you write "m******j*****"

Some passwords are required to have numbers and upper case letters,
"Air23jordan"
your text file could have "A**2*j*****"

example in a text file

## Store name
user
password

## Apple store
alfredj@macrumors.com
A**2*j*****

## Macrumors
TheGenerous
12***m******j*****A**2*

To me it works better than having the same password for all accounts yet all passwords derive from simpler passwords.

I still use the random password assigned by geocities in 1998 as a root for other passwords!

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
OK, I'll buck the tide!

I highly recommend LastPass, which is a cross platform Safari Extension. I've used it for years, and it can do everything I could want it to do.

And it's free!:D

FoxFifth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I also like LastPass -- it does everything I need so I haven't tried and can't compare it to the others. I use it on my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Air and on my spouse's Window 7 computer.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I have a text file on dropbox, it's secure imho. It goes like this,

Say your passwords usually contain these words: "michaeljordan", "air", "23" and "12345". The idea is to never write these words down on your text file but
only hints for you that you can understand.

A password that requires 10 digits could be,
"michaeljordan"
in your text file you write "m******j*****"

Some passwords are required to have numbers and upper case letters,
"Air23jordan"
your text file could have "A**2*j*****"

example in a text file

## Store name
user
password

## Apple store
alfredj@macrumors.com
A**2*j*****

## Macrumors
TheGenerous
12***m******j*****A**2*

To me it works better than having the same password for all accounts yet all passwords derive from simpler passwords.

I still use the random password assigned by geocities in 1998 as a root for other passwords!

I started with hints many years ago. The move to 1Password was a dramatic improvement.

/Jim

kgs

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
Hello,

I use Wallet: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wallet/id404234608?mt=12

It works perfectly, has an absolutely beautiful design, and is available on the Mac App Store and iOS App Store. They also have a Safari plug-in.
Unfortunately, they were recently acquired by Facebook, so there won't be any features added, such as iCloud sync, but if you are looking for a 1Password-type app with better design, this is it.

Wallet has been discontinued by the dev. He now works for Facebook

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Sure, whatever works for you. In my case a text file is free, independent of OS, and syncs and opens in 1 second.

The difference is the automation that comes with a program like 1password. Once you load 1P... you almost never need to "open" it. If it is not worth it to you... then keep using a text file with password hints. I did that for many years. IMHO... 1P is worth every penny I paid for it. We all have our priorities.

/Jim

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
I use Last Pass

but I have not used others so cannot compare. I like Last Pass in many ways but I find the interface a bit confusing at times. It is a feature rich program and I would probably do better with something with less features and easier to implement. One problem I run into is that several of the websites that I use regularly change there own interface from time to time and it is a hassle to get password working again. Also, two sites I use require me to change my password every few months and in that case Last Pass actually makes the process harder than it would be if I did not use Last Pass at all. These problems probably exist with all programs of this ilk, I'm not sure.

Xe89

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
I use 1Password. Can't imagine managing my accounts without it now, paid for both the Mac and Windows version.

But don't listen to random Internet strangers. The trial is free and works for 30 days.

Edit: use this method in creating the master password btw, regardless of password program:

http://world.std.com/~reinhold/diceware.html

I recommend a lenght of six or seven words (you will thank me later)

Last edited:

harry454

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
+1 for 1 Password, its also likely that it will be on sale this black friday like in the past, in the case you do not want to wait, use code islayer to get 20% off.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
+1 for 1 Password, its also likely that it will be on sale this black friday like in the past, in the case you do not want to wait, use code islayer to get 20% off.

I have no idea about promotions. But if possible, I'd suggest purchasing from the Mac App Store. As we've pointed out in numerous places, it includes a free upgrade to 1Password 4. No decisions have been made at this time about the website version.

That said, we can't do coupons on the Mac App Store, so you _could_ wait for a promotion if you really are concerned about price. But we don't pre-announce promotions. This is not a yes or no or anything regarding the theory of a black friday promotion. I really cannot say and I just don't want expectations to be set based on a rumor from past years.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.