Good Place to buy Used?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pieface, Feb 16, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a good place, such as a fansite etc where you can buy used DSLRs? Preferably a Nikon D40.

Has to be Used for England.

2. macrumors 65816

jaseone

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

4. macrumors 6502a

huh? I see D40's for sale at nikonians all the time. Patience.

As to selling in europe...no idea. BUT...considering the euro/dollar ...even if you pay extra for
    the shipping, I bet you would come out out with a good deal.

Nikonians.org is a great source for used gear.

PS: There's a D40 there right now: $315.
    http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcb...&forum=137&topic_id=61399&mesg_id=61399&page=

5. macrumors 6502

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ has a lot of traffic, not sure about Europe though.

Edit: I don't know how people use Nikonians, it's the ugliest / worst laid out site I've ever seen.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what I thought. And its also annoying that you have to pay to pretty much do anything on there.

7. macrumors 6502a

keh.com prob your best bet. or craigslist.org

8. macrumors 6502a

Well, here's the deal imo. Sure, the Nikonians site isn't going to win any design awards, but there are some very serious / pro photographers giving out extremely valuable advice for "free". In contrast, macrumors' averaged advice quality is HORRIBLE....and free.

Funny, I never have any trouble getting around the nikonians site.

Dealing with people at Nikonians...buying gear... my experience has been exceptionally good.

Craigslist is a nothing short of a roll of the dice. KEH is better in some ways.
    Fredmiranda and Nikonians are far better choices and well worth the price of entry.

If $25 isn't worth it to *you* for getting well taken care of gear via secure means (PayPal) at fair prices as well as advice from pro photogs...ok...to each their own.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

For a Beginner, and I mean beginner to Photography, that I'm not sure its for me yet until I try, I don't see myself paying $25 for a website, when there are other websites out there, including NikonCafe for example.

I plan to go to a few courses in Photography anyway, as I get them for free because of where I work before anyone says but you will learn.

And yeah, Craigslist wasn't that helpful for me.

10. macrumors 6502a

OK.

I recommend nikongear.com too. Strobist.com is essential (!!) imo.

Just one example from Nikonians. Two weeks ago, I got a package deal: D80, sb800 and 50 1.4 for $550...all "like new". I'm not saying that's a typical deal...I'm just sayin' :)

The D80 is now my girlfriend's BU.