Good places to buy affordable, used (and working) Macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mpstrex, Mar 21, 2007.

1. mpstrex macrumors member

mpstrex

Hey everyone,

Any good places to recommend buying used, and working, macs? I need a laptop, at least a G3 or G4, for around $300 or so.

If I'm posting something already discussed, sorry! I did a little search before posting.

Thanks,

mpstrex

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

i don't think you'll find much for $300... macs hold their value very well. if you don't want to go the ebay/craigslist route, then maybe try Mac of All Trades.

3. mpstrex thread starter macrumors member

mpstrex

Thanks. A little over a year ago, I sold my old G3 iBook for $300. I was hoping maybe I'd find something on eBay or a place I can buy from that's cool, like the link you sent.

Thanks again,

mpstrex

4. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

Buying a used mac generally isn't that advisable because of their amazing resale value. A new mac is 'only' significantly more expensive then what its parts are worth. An old mac that's a few years old is rediculously more expensive then what its obselete parts are worth.
    This is because the hardware moves/changes fast, but people's opinion of the machine's value does not.

My pc mates always laugh at people stupid enough to buy used macs at near new prices.
    If you can get a good deal on a near new mac, sure go ahead. Otherwise I'd give used macs a miss.

5. mpstrex thread starter macrumors member

mpstrex

I found a couple of old G3 iBooks at www.powermax.com for under $350. I have an old PowerBook that my ex-roommate dropped and busted. I wonder if I could trade it in to Powermax.

heath