good places to live?

Discussion in 'Community' started by question fear, Jul 11, 2005.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

So, I am starting to consider where I want to work for my next store, and I am trying to expand beyond where I currently live and work (Boston/Metrowest). Potentially I might stick around here, but if I didn't I could go anywhere, even just for a year or two. Aside from the deep south I am fairly amenable to anywhere (and even the South isn't so bad as long as it is near/in a city). My company has stores everywhere, so I am pretty flexible. Anyone really love someplace/had a great experience living somewhere for a year or two?
    Any thoughts would be great.

2. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

What are you looking for in a place to live? That may help you decide.

3. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

I guess I am looking for someplace that's sort of urban, but i'm not super picky as long as it's not rural.
    I go back and forth on this, but I think I really want to live someplace out of the northeast, and I need to do it while I am young, so I have the flexibility to move back if I miss it....essentially I recognize that the northeast (especially new england) is very, very, different than other parts of the country. I grew up in New Jersey, and have lived in MA for the last 6 years. Maybe living somewhere else will slow down how fast I speak ;)
    I think I need to refine my question slightly; it is rather vague. Essentially, what are the pros and cons that others have experienced in various parts of the country? (I know I can look up cost-of-living numbers, etc, so I don't really care about that, this is more subjective-ie, there's no one under 30 here, there's fun nightlife, etc) Besides, almost anywhere is cheaper than Boston.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You could come live on the California coast. Wonderful weather, plenty of urban areas with things to do. Close to wine country, plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables nearly year round...

Oh wait, you said cheaper than Boston...
    :p

5. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

bosoton

I live in Boston (back bay), and I'd like to think that I've visited plenty of other cities. Once you get used to the winters, I don't think there's any place better.

6. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Chicago is a great urban setting. Most of the diversity of a New York with Midwest sensibilities.

A terrific city with lots to see, do and eat
    And plenty of friendly people to meet

Oh yeah: There's an Apple store on Michigan Avenue

7. vniow macrumors G4

I second that, I just moved up to Marin (county north of San Francisco) and its like super-mellow here, there's enough to do to keep you interested (and SF is a 3 minute drive away) and the surrounding area is simply gorgeous, I just hiked to this 50ft tall waterfall that goes into the ocean on Monday (the only other one in CA aside from Big Sur) and it was amazing. But cheaper than Boston on the other hand...

8. Tahko macrumors regular

What about Frankfurt? I'm moving there once my studies are finished.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

V... what are you doing that far north?

Guess SC got too small for you huh? I know that feeling.

10. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

My vote is for Tucson.

It is urban, but not too large and overcrowded. Warm (well HOT, it is desert) but you do get acclimated. Lots of opportunities, real estate prices are not unreasonable. A lot of young people live there (U of A). Good airport with connections to major cities. There's even skiing in mt lemon and the ocean (Rocky Point, Mexico) is about 3 hrs away.

11. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

seattle is pretty neat
    the night life is good especially the indie scene
    its urban but not too urban with the ocean and mountains right there if you want to get out of the city

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree. I love Chicago. I've lived here for the last 13 years- it's now my home and where I tell people I'm from. Only way I'd leave is if I could get a job in Quebec City, Canada. :)

Oh- and the Apple store here kicks a**!

13. vniow macrumors G4

Long story,

Basically my roommate and I got fed up in the situation we were in in SF so we were looking for something bigger that was in our price range and this was the only place we found that wasn't in the ghetto in Oakland or something. So far its been good to us, we both really like the area, plus its close enough to SF to peak our interests from time to time.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah living is SF can be rough without a good income level.

15. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I second that. Seattle is nice cause it's not too expensive, even not living too far from downtown. It's got great neighborhoods like Queen Anne, Freemont, Greenlake, and West Seattle. I really enjoyed living there for the 2 years I spent there.

Yeah, I remember looking for places in Oakland and everything cheap enough was so scary looking. I didn't even want to go inside for fear that I would see some scary bugs (I really don't like insects at all). I haven't been to Marin that much, but the few times I was over there I really enjoyed it. I never have seen that waterfall into the ocean, so I guess I'll have to go back sometime.

16. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

My vote is for Dever Colorado! I love that place + the mountains are so awsome to look at. And its still a large city but doesnt seem like one (or atleast to me)

17. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...west is best....if you want to stay in the USA then definitely try out Seattle and/or Portland.....oh yeah!

18. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'm pretty sure you're the first person I've ever heard recommend Tucson :p

Do you care what the weather is like? If so, that can be a pretty huge factor in eliminating places from your list. I agree with Duff-Man, West is best. Seattle and Portland are both nice, but I'd pretty much divide the country in half, and start by looking at all of the major cities to the west of your line. (I'm personally not a fan of states like Idaho and New Mexico, so I don't know if you have an interest in looking into those or not, but I think that Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, and Colorado all seem to have some nice stuff to offer.)

19. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Check this out...

http://money.cnn.com/best/bplive/

Moorestown, NJ is number one. I just had to mention it because I work in Moorestown. It is definitely a wonderful area. Close to Philly, NYC, DC, the mountains and the beach (and don't forget Atlantic City for those those 3am poker cravings).

Hickman

20. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

wow
    lots of great suggestions here.

i really don't know what's going to happen (if/when I'm going to move out of this area), but I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on different areas. it definitely gives me a bit more information as I start to look into this more deeply.

To the west coast/California suggesters: Very likely I will seriously consider moving out there...I need to figure out a way to visit first, since I've never been that far west. OTOH, I have a lot of friends from the west coast/currently living on the west coast, many of whom are voting for the west coast in this discussion as well :)

Hickman:
    I grew up in NJ....it's my backup plan :) my parents made me a deal, if I decided to move anywhere tri-state they'd give me a month in my old room if I needed some time to find my own place. Can't look a free month in the mouth, i guess.

21. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I love living here in the northern suburbs of Baltimore. I'm about an hour from both Philly and DC, 30 minutes from Baltimore's Inner Harbor, an hour from the Chesapeake Bay, and I only have to drive about 10 minutes to see farm country. If you're looking for "little" big city hustle and bustle, it's here. If you're looking for a calmer pace to life, that is here, too.

Oh, and crabs steamed with Old Bay. Mmmmmmmm.....

And parents are close enough to visit, far enough away not to just pop in on you. ;)

22. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

DC?

Stay away from DC! Terrible traffic and not a great nightlife. And the housing market is out of control. We are looking to get out of here. Any job openings for a Graphic Designer in Moorestown? I grew up in Northern NJ and I miss it...

23. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Haha, well I was going to say NYC or DC, but I think those are actually more expensive. The suburbs of DC are *very* nice from what I hear...suburbs of NYC are, of course, mostly in Jerz.. If you want to move farther south, Atlanta is a stellar city (my home town). I recommend you don't move to Philly..its kind of a cool place but not a place to live for more than a few years. (I went to college here and I am leaving in 2 weeks, I would never move back here.)