GOOD Pop-up Blocker

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dougnewman, Mar 16, 2007.

1. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Aug 9, 2006
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Just about every browser seems to have a pop-up blocker... Safari, Opera, Firefox, Camino.

But none of them actually seems to block all pop-ups. Most, yes, but not all.

Does anyone know of a pop-up blocker that is actually 100% effective, either built-in to a browser or as an add-on?

Why is it so difficult to create a browser that will absolutely refuse to open a new window unless I ask it to?
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i've never had a pop up with Camino. and its difficult because the people who are creating the pop-ups are constantly re-writing their code to trick the browsers.

edit: i like the Camino's anti moving and resizing the window feature too because thats almost worse than a pop up, imo.
  3. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Nov 1, 2006
    I have yet to find a webpage that opened an unwanted popup in Opera. In my opinion, it has the best popup blocker i have encountered.
  4. dougnewman thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 9, 2006
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Isn't there a way to design a browser that will simply not open a new window ever without asking you first?

I would like to see a browser where you have to press a certain button to open a new window, like shift+click or something. If the shift button (or whatever the chosen button is) is not being pressed, it won't open a new window, period.

I've had one pop-up open in Opera.

Opera is a neat browser but I find the interface a bit odd (no Bookmarks Bar like Safari/Camino/Firefox) and it is missing one important feature - a spell-checker.

However, I have found its page rendering engine to be pretty impossible to defeat. Gecko (Firefox/Camino) is pretty good but not quite there, and WebCore (Safari) seems to have trouble with a fair number of sites.

Right now I am using Camino which I think has nicest interface after Safari, plus (in 1.1b) a better spell-checker and a much more reliable page-rendering engine.

If I could customize Opera's user interface to my liking I would certainly use it.