Good Practices!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stubeeef, Dec 22, 2004.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Thought this would probably end up in the pol forum, so just stuck it here to start. It has emailed around before, but just read it again, and it reminds me of what this time is all about to me.

The lord can speak to those willing to listen! I had a funny need to call an old co-worker today, I knew he was a clearing house for families fallen through the cracks. I hadn't spoken to him in a couple of years, and called because my Christmas bonus was in need of finding someone. I called him, asked if he still helped kids with Crack addicted parents. He said yes, and was a little hesitant talking to me, since we hadn't spoken in so long. this guy brings Thanksgiving meals to these kids and Christmas Trees to their houses cause the parents don't do anything but get crack.
    Anyway I asked if it was too late to give him $200 to help someone, he freaked on the phone, said they prayed all day yesterday to find some money to help a lady with 2 kids who took in her 3 nieces while the sister and husband were in prison/rehab. The kind lady's husband left her when she took in the 3 other kids, and has barely enough for a roof over their head. My friend had his wife meet him 2 hours later with alist, including clothes sizes.

It was the greatest Christmas Present I can imagine I will receive this year.
    Please listen to your heart this Holiday Season, and do something really CRAZY GOOD! :)

When you go do something Crazy Good, post it here! It's not seeking glory cause no-one here knows you! But you may ignite someone else.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

my dad had a bout w/ cancer this year, so this weekend i donated to the american cancer society in his name.

and i'm a godless heathen!

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

My mother has been struggling with brain cancer...so I drive several hours (round-trip) to pick her up, wait for her why she goes through treatment, and drive her home. I usually do this a few times (2-4) a week, to give my dad a break and show support. I usually have to get up at 4:30am, and deal with rush-hour morning traffic. I try to be positive and smile a lot, though it is hardly fun and I am not a morning-person.

Hardly anything to crow about, as I am sure most anyone would do the same in a comparable situation.

zim, I hope your dad is doing well.

Stu, very nice of you. You are obviously a caring individual. Too bad your politics are all screwed up...

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I expect he's not the only caring Republican around... :rolleyes:

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Obviously. It was a joke. I am boycotting the use of smileys.

Is that sentence your good deed?

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

he's in remission. thank you. i hope for the best for your mom.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I knew that.

It's on the shortlist. Republicans need all the friends they can get.

Smiley witheld out of deference to cultural relativity

8. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Actually, I got all the reward. I really feel kinda high on this one. The best part is there are 3 lil girls out there that had a need, and I have 3 lil girls too.

But you see, the real majic of this was acting on something that was out of the norm. Not the act of writing a check, that is so easy, my friend Carl is doing all the actual work, he is a true hero, people like us are just doing the easy part, writing a small check. But you see, I actually, no kidding, feel awsome that my little gift hit the mark, or bullseye. That is the beauty here! And I am the biggest beneficary, no one else, Cause I feel like I'm walking on air right now, intune with my faith cause the right one got the right thing at the right time!

In fact I feel a little selfesh for not giving a whole lot more. Hundreds from some is not as much as pennies from others. The only salvation is that I listened to a little voice in my head to call an old aquaintence. God works in mysterious ways!

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Stu, do you belong to any service clubs? If not, you should seriously consider joining one. They do stuff like this all year round, not just at the holidays.

10. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

My Sunday School class does Habitat, and service things, the real problem is that some people just don't make it to an organization for help. They have somehow fallen through the cracks. Or their need is so last minute, that no one knew.

Yes, the JC's, Lions, Civitans, and folks like my brother in-law who was a volunteer with toys-for-tots, there are lots of groups, thankfully that do a lot of this. Our Sunday School class sponsors 2-4 families each year, and we personnally deliver the gifts. I have some friends that go and serve at the soup kitchens on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - I have not on those days, at least not yet.

It was just the voice in my head to call this guy, that is what made this special to me. He had been praying for some more money to help this family, and in my opinion his prayer landed on me! I think it was the fact that there were 3 lil girls involved and I have 3 lil girls too!

I donate to the local Samaritan Inn, a soup kitchen, and volunteer at church, as well as part time House Dad, so time is nye.

I know there are a lot of folks out there doing some neat stuff this season and I hope they find this thread and post! I am also very aware that a lot of people/kids actually need help ALL YEAR LONG! That there are thousands that visit this site and can/do a world of difference for someone everyday! And to me that is sooooo cool.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Keep following that voice in your head, join a service club -- and make a commitment to community service a permanent part of your life. I recommend Rotary International, not just because I'm a member myself, but because of the many good (and largely unheralded) works they do throughout the world.

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My 4-year-old daughter helps us pick out toys to donate to needy kids. Previously, my wife and I had done it, but this year, she got in on the act. I understand the obvious need for food, clothing, and shelter, and help out there as well, but I feel particularly bad about kids waking up with nothing from Santa. Most of the kids I know could survive a Santa-less Xmas quite well - they have far too many toys already (my daughter included) - but it's nice to help give these needy kids something to cheer them up and maybe give them a little hope.

And, as a side note, as happy as I am to see people donating toys, it does sometimes irritate me when I see someone walk in and drop off some $2 toy when it's pretty clear that they spent more than that on the coffee they ordered afterwards. I just try to think of what it'd be like if my family ended up in need and my kids got toys one step above Happy Meal giveaways for Xmas. I mean, if you're going to go get a toy, pony up the $5 for something that at least isn't worthless. I'm not saying it should cost $100 (obviously), but it should be something you wouldn't be ashamed to give your own kids, in my opinion. I think many people give to make themselves feel better without giving any thought to the people on the receiving end (same goes for people who donate toys which need batteries but don't include them - I mean, at least include some so the kids can use the toy if you're going to give a powered one!).