Good Printer for OS X.

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by pgwalsh, Jul 30, 2002.

1. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I need to buy a new printer. I'll be moving to OS X soon. I need something that's for general purpose but will print Photo's too. I have a budget of $500 and was thinking of going Epson. Any suggestions for manufactures and models. What do you people like?

Thanks for any constructive input in advance.

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

I would go with the Epson C60 or C80. They are fast and cheap. I think you may have to download OS X drivers for it, as I read a review for one of the new Cxx models in a mag. some couple of months back, saying that you have to download certain drivers.

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I have the C80 (modifed to the C80N version) and it is great. If you purchase it new, it will come with the OS X drivers that you need, if you didn't download them in one of the many updates earlier.

I especially like the individual ink cartridges (with the chips so that they remember how much ink is inside each one) as well as the waterproof and lightfast aspects.

I know more then a few people that have purchased the C80 and they all love it. We even purchase them for people to have on their desk at work (for the people that are high enough on the food chain to be able to get their own printer).

4. Apple][Forever macrumors regular

I bought a C80 about 2 months ago. Great printer! It came with software and printed instructions for OSX. I'm running 10.1.5 and haven't had any print problems.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

We have several different types of inkjet printers here at work, and I will say get one with individual cartridges - it will save you money in the long run. There's nothing worse than replacing ink when you know that some of the other colors are still quite full.

6. pgwalsh thread starter macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I forgot to mention that I need the printer to be network capable.

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Get the C80N then... or if you want one that is 100% wireless (but not wired) get the C80WN.

I converted my C80 (purchased it within a week or two of it's release) and then picked up the external print server to make it the C80N model. It's a snap to use and setup from the Mac. You can also set up pc's to print to it easily.

8. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

whatever printer you get, make sure that it uses the separate tanks for each color...your quality in pictures will be very noticeable

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

That would be Epson's C80 series (C80, C80N and C80WN). I have it, I love it, every Epson printer I have had/used has treated me right. ;) :D

10. neilt macrumors regular

No offense to the Epson printers, we have had a lot of trouble with the network adapter they use. I am not sure of the C80N uses the ethernet adapter or if it truly integrated. The ones that use the adapter (like what Alpha mentions above) would frequently disapear from the network (both appletalk and IP). We would have to do hard resets at least 2 a week. We finally just plugged it in via usb and did the usb printersharing.

We had this problem with 2 different Epson printers. Although I love our Epson 9000 with fiery RIP. :D

neilt

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The C80N uses a new external print server that I have had no problems at all with. When I turn on the printer, it's there, ready for action.

Which Epson printers are you talking about, which model of the external print server was it and how long ago???

12. neilt macrumors regular

I think it was the C80.....(C80N), but I can check in the morning with the model of both the printer and the adapter. Like I said, we had the problem on 2 different printers, but we have many of them that work fine.

neilt

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Problems with two out of how many though??? I even picked up the printer before the C80N was on the market, since I needed a great quality printer (the individual ink cartridges were an important factor too). Since then, I picked up the external print server (exact same one that ships with the C80N). Installed the hardware and drivers and had no problems printing from my Mac (under OS X or OS 9) or from my game pc (win2k). I also have my airport base station (latest revision) giving out IP addresses via DHCP to both computers and printer.

BTW, your earlier post made it sound like it was a common problem, not two out of XXX printers.

14. neilt macrumors regular

2 out of 7...so it is a pretty big percentage.