Good programmers editor?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Mona~Lisa, Jun 29, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

I want to do a bit of HTML and JavaScript, and maybe play around with a bit of CSS. I've got Dreamweaver but I want something simpler just to type bits of code in. On my pc I just use Notepad - can anyone recommend something similar for the Mac? Or just a good programmers editor? I'm a student so really I need a free and downloadable one.

2. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you really want something like notepad then use TextEdit (in /Applications), just change it to plain text, not rich text.

If you want syntax hightlighting etc the XCode is free, although a bit heavy weight to use as a text editor.

BBEdit gets a lot of good press, but is not free.
    TextWrangler is made by the same company as BBEdit, but is free...

3. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I use TextMate. It's not free, but worth every penny!

4. macrumors 6502a

TextWrangler

TextWrangler is the best, free programming editor that I'm aware of for the Mac. Is fairly fast, extrememly stable, has good find/replace capability, syntax coloring, etc. It also has FTP/SFTP support built-in and a bunch of other stuff I never end up using.

If it has a fault, I kind of miss the built-in file system navigation and tabbed windows of Homesite on my PC.

5. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Smultron is also free and good.

6. macrumors 68040

iSee

Again: TextWrangler :) It's the best free text editor I've ever found

7. weg
    macrumors 6502a

weg

Try Emacs. The new versions have a nice user interface, and it's really a powerful editor that has a lot of great features if you're willing to dig around a bit.

8. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

for HTML try Taco Html Edit, it is far superior to notepad as it does syntax colouring, html validation and can preview your HTML too.

9. macrumors 68000

atari1356

Yeah... if you're at all serious about doing web design/development save your pennies for TextMate. Code snippets and text folding make me happy. :)