good RAM company

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by I'mAMac, Aug 28, 2006.

1. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

does anyone know if Axiom Memory Solutions is a good RAM company? If I get the mac pro off macmall, their RAM is going into it.

2. Mr. Mister macrumors 6502

Check to see whether they're pushing Mac Pro-spec heatsinks of not. Using normal PC heatsinks will raise fan noise a lot and worst case actually overheat.

That is, it should look more like the stuff on the right than the skinny li'l bastard on the left.

[​IMG]

3. kered22 macrumors 6502

kered22

Here's the xlr8yourmac.com reader reports on the different 3rd party RAM choices:
    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/Mac_Pro/mac_pro_ram.html

Reading those... I don't know, right now I feel safest going with Apples memory without going overboard (reason why I'm getting 2 GB for now). Until the prices settle down and these quality issues get settled, that seems like the safest path.

4. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

I just bought some RAM for my MacBook Pro today and the person ahead of me was looking for RAM for a Mac Pro. This was at a third-party RAM store that's also an Apple-certified dealer. The man helping the guy in front of me recommended ALL RAM going into a Mac Pro come from Apple, prices nonwithstanding, because of the heat-sinks and the fact that it's such an important, expensive machine and you don't want anything to go wrong with it.

5. Mr. Mister macrumors 6502

Why not get it from Crucial for $100 less than Apple's $300? Apple uses Micron-Crucial RAM: you are getting the exact same thing with the exact same heatsinks for remarkably less.

6. phuong macrumors 6502a

7. SLJJBK macrumors newbie

Mac Ram Direct

I looking to buy an 8GB kit (4 2GB DIMM's) and "Mac Ram Direct" has it cheaper than anyone else I can Find. Is this company reputable.

These are for new Quad Core G5's that will be used for editing and Visual effects at a College.