Good Relationship? Mini Mac heart Linux

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bobber205, Jan 7, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I figure I'm not a true geek until I can get my way around in Linux.

And I figure it's the closest thing to windows I'll get to for quite awhile, so it would give me some experience outside of Mac OS's.

So, here's the question. Should/Can I Put Linux (Red Hat Version) on my mini Mac?:eek:

2. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

no ... not red hat -- unless something has changed i don't think there is a PPC version of red hat which is what you need to run on a G4

i really liked yellow dog and that would work just fine on your computer

just google for PPC linux Distro and you'll get what you need

3. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

You can get Ubuntu for your Mac mini. I've tried it on my iBook, and it works very well. I don't think it supports Airport Express, though.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If you want to be a "true geek", give Gentoo a try. It is an amazing (and in my opinion the best) distro of Linux. It is very hard to configure because it is more configurable than most other distros. If you can install and use Gentoo, every other distro becomes relatively easy to install and use. If you'd rather start off with something a little easier, I'll add a vote for Yellow Dog.

5. aspro macrumors 6502

The Redhat distro that I believe he means is the Fedora Core distro, which should work on a mac mini. http://fedora.redhat.com/

6. Uma888 macrumors 6502

Real geeks use slackware, or slackintosh in this case

7. applefan macrumors regular

I installed Ubuntu on my Mini. It's a nice combo, but it doesn't support AP Extreme or Express as mentioned above. It sounds like the next release scheduled for April will though.

8. BarfBag macrumors member

I'm a Linux user. My two favorite distros are SUSE and Ubuntu. Both have PPC versions. Ubuntu is the easiest (and fastest because of the rock solid Debian kernel). SUSE is good if you're a KDE person. In my opionion, it's the best KDE distro out there.

http://www.ubuntu.com/
    http://www.suse.com/

9. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Linux isn't quite ready for the desktop imo. You can do most of the stuff you'd do in Linux on Mac OS X anyway. But if you're going to take the plunge, Ubuntu is #1.

Kubuntu for KDE nuts :)

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Nah... if you really want to be a true geek, then use LFS ;)

To get into Linux, I'd recommend Kubuntu (Xubuntu isn't quite finished and Ubuntu is just plain fugly)

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've been using SuSE since 8.2, and can't see myself using anything else in the near future. Ubuntu was too tricky for me, and I couldn't find anything similar to YaST in Fedora. I couldn't even figure out how to install Gentoo!

12. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

lfs is good to do once. afterwards, a binary only distribution makes more sense and takes less time.