Good seating position at desk

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, Sep 4, 2006.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I think I have a decent computer Ikea desk (one with keyboard drawer which pulls out under the main desk surface) and swivel chair with arm rests.

I am studying a bunch of software with books; so, I put it on the desk to read it while practicing with my Mac on this desk. For some reasons, my neck areas get stiff. So, I think my seating position is not good.

How do you sit at your desk for prolonged time? When I am at my desk at home, I usually go at it for hours no end.

2. daze macrumors 6502

daze

Is your monitor at eye level? Should be so you are not straining your neck to look upwards...

3. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

My monitors are on the eye level. So, I am looking straight up (not looking up or looking down). I noticed I have to keep my back off the chair; if I just sit on the chair and put my back aginst the chair's back rest, I am too far away from the keyboard.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Read this website. You are doing something wrong, and most likely it has to do with your seat and your need to reach.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

3 years ago I had this horrendous pain in my upper back. Went to the chiropractor, he fixed it and told me that it was very specific to computer users. I was leaning slightly to one side and slightly forward when in front of the computer. So, make sure you're sitting square to the screen and that you're leaning back just a little bit. I've never had a problem since then.

I dislike desks with roll out keyboard trays because they put the keyboard too far away from the monitor.

6. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

I agree with you that the roll-out keyboard tray desk is not ideal for computers with small screens. For my set up, I only view on 20" and 23" ACDs. So, I can see the screen even if I am 1.5 feet away from the screen.

But for my other desk (which I retro-fitted the keyboard drawer), I have to bring up my iBook on iCurb to the edge of the desk as the screen size is only 12".

I have the reading stand for book (but I have not used it that much). I just noticed with the book on the reading stand, I can look at the book and screen without bending my neck, which gave me less of the neck pain.

7. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

I spend many hours behind my desk, both at work and home. A bit more than three months ago I woke up not being able to use half of my left hand. Long story short, I got surgery withing ten days. My left hand, is still far from normal.
    I bought a new office chair and desk from my home directly after my physician told me that the probable cause for my problem was my cool ergonomic incorrect desk from 1930 and my equally functional "office" chair.
    Bottomline, make damn sure you have correct working position. If you spend a lot of time behind your desk, don't try to save money buying a cheap desk/chair.
    You don't want my story to be yours too... trust me on that

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I have problems with stiff neck and my arms falling asleep at night. I write articles about 12-14 hours a day every day and I have a crap chair (trying t take care of that) and I need to elevate my monitor a bit.

There's only so much you can do, though. :eek:

9. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

That us exactly what happened to me. The problem was that my hand never woke up...:rolleyes:
    I turned out that a nerve was got jammed because of my own stupidity. I lost about 90% of all muscles in my left hand within ten days. It will take more than a year (if ever) before I will get my full muscle mass back.
    I bought an Aeron chair and a height adjustable L-shaped desk right after I found out why this happened. Too bad I wasn't smart enough to do it before this happened.

10. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

It seems the seating position is very important for health. I certainly don't want any surgery because of poor seating posture or position.

[​IMG]

I put one of those adjustable cushions on my swivel chair. I also have the back massage thing with the chair (I put that on my chair when I feel like it).

Do you think my seating position is good based on this picture?

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Yeah, I'm currently bidding on an Aeron chair - had one at my last job before I started working from home and it was really a great chair. The doctor says I have rotator cuff damage and that is what is causing the arm numbness - whatever.

The desk I have is at a good height (adjustable) and I hope I win thie chair tonight. ;)

Good luck with your stuff™.

12. Lau Guest

Thanks for the heads up, everyone. I don't currently have a desk, but I know I'm very prone to a sore neck in many everyday scenarios, and have had sore and numb wrists on occasion, so should watch my step. Thanks for the warning, and sorry you've had to go through surgery, Dr.Gargoyle.

13. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

I checked up google on Aeron chairs. Those chairs are rather expensive (for a chair) as they are priced around $700 to $1000 depending on the model.

Are they that good? By looking at them, they sure look comfy, though.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

Absolutely - but you can get them on eBay for 500-600 or less.

The mesh seat keeps your ass and legs from sweating, unpleasant subject, but sitting for a long time will do this.

Excellent leg, back and upper torso support, and even when you lean back it's quite ergonomic.

Plus, they are quite indestructable. We had 8 of them go through a flood at my last job and not nary a problem with any of them after being underwater for a day.

Worth every penny - they are expensive because you'll prolly never need another chair.

15. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

I think I should get Aeron chair. I am always looking for a comfy chair so that I can sit on it for hours to work on CS2, Office, and other computer related works, without any fatigue (from the chair, that is).

16. iGary Guest

iGary

You know how you start shifting around in a usual office chair after a few hours? Never happens with an Aeron. Good luck. ;)

17. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

Thanks.
    My point was merely to emphasize the importance of a correct workspace.
    I mean, it is a kind of odd that we don't mind spending many $1000's on computers just to improve our workflow, when we at the same time think $800 is too much for a chair that vastly improves our chances to stay healthy.

18. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Lane leather office chair

I decided to upgrade my other chair (not in the picture) which does not have the arm rest with this one I found at Staples:
    http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...0051&langId=-1&productId=138206&cmArea=SEARCH
    It is comfy and well padded back support. I hope this will help me at my desk without fatigue.

Update: I became too comfy and got sleepy...... Maybe the cold medicine is affecting my drowsiness.