Good, simple OS X replacement for Money '97?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wolfpup, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I'm maybe 30% of the way convincing myself to get a new Macbook Pro, so figured I should ask this...

For the last decade I've used Money '97 for my financial stuff. It works GREAT for me. It's a simple interface that looks somewhat checkbook like. It has recurring payments (which I only just started using a few months ago believe it or not). It's got simple reporting and search tools that work perfectly for me It's just great.

When I switched to a mac five years ago (for a couple of years) I bought the current version of Quicken...and HATED it. It was confusing to use, I couldn't import anything to it, I couldn't get a good idea with what was going on with my finances. So I ended up using Money '97 through Virtual PC (and ended up switching back to Windows after a while because there were too many programs at the time with no Mac equivalent).

Since then I also got a free copy of Money 2005 (something like that), and HATED it too.

So are there any other alternatives on the Mac? Just something with a simple, clean interface and basic reporting and search tools?

I don't use online banking at ALL, so don't care about that.

2. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

Have you considered running Money '97 through Parallels? If you already have a legal copy of Windows XP, it might be similar in cost to buying a new financial management program.

3. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Checkbook looks promising. I assume the site and everything are legit, if I give them my Credit Card number?

I've thought of doing Parellels, but that somewhat defeats the purpose of having a Mac. I found it to be a real pain having to keep TWO OSs in top shape.

I guess that's $80...and hopefully won't need an upgrade to run under 10.5 or something. Might be worth doing since I'm sure I'd need it for some other program anyway.

4. mohamadfazli macrumors newbie

5. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

iBank looks kind of promsing too. Seems straight forward, and has nice easy to read charts it looks like.

6. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

That's why I suggested it. You might find other uses for Parallels that would help justify the cost difference between that and a new checkbook program.

Also, parallels has the benefit of being a virtual machine so you can install Windows XP in parallels and then save the Money data file in a shared folder accessible to Mac OS X. Make a backup copy of your virtual machine file and if Windows ever gets wonky, you just delete the VM file and use your backup copy. Your data is always safe in the shared folder, so you don't have to worry about it. That approach will help a bit with the need to maintain two OS's.

7. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow