Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManiac1224

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2001
NY
Any Good Sound Cards for Mac? I am looking, and I just can't find any. I say a creative soundblaster, but ti doesn't work with os X, have any ideas?

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Re: Good Sound Cards for Mac?

Originally posted by MacManiac1224
Any Good Sound Cards for Mac? I am looking, and I just can't find any. I say a creative soundblaster, but ti doesn't work with os X, have any ideas?

yeah m-audio is coming out with a consumer SD pretty soon. once i hear reviews i'll jump on it and finally get my 5.1 Promedia set up

tyler

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I use M-Audio Sonica, which is a USB to optical digital or analog out, multi-channel audio device for $80.

There's no need for a slot because it's attached via USB, but it does require a high power connection so if you have a lot of devices connected, it may issue a warning. I solved this, and other issues, by buying a USB 2.0 card which took the slot anyway. :)

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by bousozoku
I use M-Audio Sonica, which is a USB to optical digital or analog out, multi-channel audio device for $80.

but does the sonica provide you with true 5.1 dolby digital surround sound, i thought you have to go plug it into a reciever to full get everything out of it.

Tyler

idkew

macrumors 68020
Originally posted by TyleRomeo

but does the sonica provide you with true 5.1 dolby digital surround sound, i thought you have to go plug it into a reciever to full get everything out of it.

Tyler

i don't get what you mean...

of course you have to plug it into a receiver. light does not run/amplify a speaker.

the sonica outputs its 5.1 through a fiber optic cable that you plug into your receiver which runs your speakers.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Tyler

It will provide the encoded signal to whatever receiver/amplifier/amplified speaker system you have. It includes a Mac-enhanced open source DVD player which provides the necessary signal by optical connection.

This means that a Dolby Digital and/or dts decoder is required before output to speakers.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York

Tyler

Of course it required a reciever, fiberoptic cables can't power speakers.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I'd just like to take a moment to heavily endorse the emi 2/6 from Emagic. I don't know what kind of price range you are trying to stick to, but I have been using this device for the last eight months and I love it every day. I don't recall how much I payed for it, but it was probably around $250. It's been worth every cent.

The 2/6 features two inputs and six outputs. It connects via USB and is powered either by the computer or an A/C adapter. It has a headphone output along side the RCA I/Os. You will still need some sort of amp (I route through a tiny Behringer mixer that I picked up at a local music shop and then run lines to self powered Event Studio 8 monitors). The sound quality has been astounding, although I am looking into an upgrade purely for more inputs (recording).

BTW - emi 2/6 has 16 or 24 bit I/O. Not that it really matters in todays consumer market, unless you are running sound for film or other high end projects.

For what it's worth, I am a huge fan of Emagic's products and support. Drop into a Guitar Center (or whatever your local music shop may be) and check this baby out. Until then, check the link listed below.

Hope this helps,
Dan

http://www.emagic.de/english/products/hardware/emi26.html

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by springscansing

Of course it required a reciever, fiberoptic cables can't power speakers.

then wouldnt the m-audio new PCI 7.1 soundcard be a much better option for a Powermac, that way you can forget about going through a reciever and just have the DTS, and dolby decoding done inside your mac.

Tyler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.