Good Speakers to Complement my iMac G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EricNau, Dec 18, 2005.

1. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Hi,
    I'm looking for a good set of 2.1 Speakers, that look good (with the iMac G5) and sound good also.

I've found several that look good, and sound good, but the price was unreasonable;
    Altec Lansing FX6021 - 2.1 Speakers
    Sony Multimedia Speakers SRS-DZ10
    -I love the look of both - just not the price.

Any suggestions and/or reviews are greatly appreciated.

2. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I find the Harman Kardon sounsticks II to be pretty good looking. Check them out here. They're a little less expensive than the ones you listed. But I would agree that good looking speakers are hard to find and expensive when you do.

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

If your looking for inexpensive, stylish, and good quality speakers, have a look at JBL Creature Speakers. My sister is getting a set for christmas (shh).

They are about $190 (australian dollars, about $140 US), and have a suprisingly good sound. To complement your iMac, you would have to get them in white. The black ones make the subby look like a darth vader helmet.

I have some Altec Lansings, and im actually a bit disappointed in them. They make a good mids and highs, but the sub is unimpressive. It sounds like the air vent isnt big enough to allow enough air to go through. So to compensate for lack of bass, I plug my iPod dock into my 200 watt bass amp :p

4. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

actually, they retail for $100 here in the states. and i've seen them as low as $50 before.

i wouldn't recommend altec lansig, although i've never actually heard them, i've never heard anything good about them aside from looks. i don't know anything about those Sony's. i have heard some good about the creatures, but if your looking at speakers in the $200-$250 price range, you'd probably be disappointed with the creatures.

i'd recommend checking out klipsch, they generally sound quite nice.

5. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

actually, they retail for $100 here in the states. and i've seen them as low as $50 before.

i wouldn't recommend altec lansig, although i've never actually heard them, i've never heard anything good about them aside from looks. i don't know anything about those Sony's. i have heard some good about the creatures, but if your looking at speakers in the $200-$250 price range, you'd probably be disappointed with the creatures.

i'd recommend checking out klipsch, they generally sound quite nice.

6. shdwsclan macrumors member

shdwsclan

7. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I love my JBL Creature II's! Great sound quality and really cool volume buttons/sensors.

8. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

9. adam-uk macrumors member

adam-uk

10. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

I have the white creature II speakers. They are look great...and sound awsome. I would definantly recommend them.

11. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I have to recommend the Creature Speakers as well. They have excellent sound and take up very little space. And trust me, they can endure a lot, because I use them just about every weekend for parties at my house (I am in college) and they inevitably get turned up incredibly high, and have lasted for more than a year of this behaviour. Great speakers, and great price.

12. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

They aren't self-powered; they have a a power brick for the base. I have a pair in our dining room, and they sound fantastic.

13. EricNau thread starter Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Then why does Amazon say "Self Powered"? :confused: I'm not doubting what you said; it's just weird.

Could there more than one type?

Link

14. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

I think that you may be confused about what self-powered means. Self-powered speakers can take a line-level input and amplify the signal without the use of an external amplifier. The internal amplifier in the self-powered speakers REQUIRES power. Typically the headphone jack or the speaker outputs have only enough power to drive small non-powered speakers. You will NEED a self-powered system to get much volume from a computer.