Good Spreadsheet alternative to MS Office?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Haoshiro, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Does anyone know of a good spreedsheet app for OS X, preferrably Intel-based macs?

I don't want or need MS Office. OpenOffice2 performs badly on Intels, and OpenOffice1 (NeoOffice) is only at Alpha for Intel.

This seems to be about the only piece of software I haven't been able to find a (usually better) alternative to...

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I will say I like NeoOffice but as you have said it is in Alpha 3 status

Does the google spreadsheet thing work for you?

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The irony here of course is that Excel began its life on the Mac...

I remember switching from Cricket Graph to Excel for simple plots of data...

B

4. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Without knowing your needs specifically (i.e. do you need Macros, VB Scripting, etc.) it is my opinion that 90% of the people that think they need Office don't. Most people would get along just fine with TextEdit and a simple spreadsheet like Google Spreadsheet. I like Open Office, but until it is ready for Intel-based Macs it can't really be considered.

Excel really has very little competition in the spreadsheet arena, but it is more than most people need. If you need advanced features your choices are Excel, Open Office, and that is really about it. If you need basic features then Google Spreadsheets might be a viable choice.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You might look here, there, and everywhere.

6. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

Google Spreadsheet just came out last week, but you have to sign up for it. So you may get a spot and you may not. I've been testing it out for a while and I really like it. Its not going to win over any buisnesses yet, but for personal use i think it will do the job just fine.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

were do you sign up for it?