Good, sub 1500$ PC Laptop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacAztec, Jan 15, 2004.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    My brother dropped his trusty PowerBook, so he is going to sell it on eBay for 1100 buy it now.

He wants to know what his options are from both worlds. What laptop would you recommend for a PC User that is Sub 1500$ range? He is not a PC user, but he is going to look at both Mac and PC notebooks.
  2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    I tend to favor Dells and IBM ThinkPads. For $1500, you can get yourself a very nice PC laptop.
  3. ShadowHunter macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2003
    I agree. I hate supporting Dell, but you usually can't go to wrong. Something in the 5000 series range should do the trick. Watch for PC laptop deals.
  4. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    i saw what's called an "outrageous" deal on a dell ad. it was really good...

inspiron 5150, i think. Pentium 4, 512 RAM, 40 GB HD, ATi card with 32 MB, etc. fully spec'ed and priced at $1100 after a $200 rebate, i think?

600M looks good too, with P-M chip.

check out their online store - i hate how it's designed and difficult to navigate, but there are some good deals in there.

for a Mac, i'd get a fully decked out iBook 12" if $1500 is your budget. (you may also consider 12" PB either refurb or edu. discounted, if you qualify...)
  5. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Go to Dell's refurb site here:

Dell Referb

Stay away from the Inspiron series. They are craptastic. If you can, focus on the Latitude. You don't get as many features but the quality is much higher.

Don't worry about the fact that its a referb site. Dell offers 3 year warranties with the products so its covered. More then a few friends have gotten REALLY good deals on the referb site. The trick is to grab the item as soon as you see it on the list since any given device can get snatched up in a heartbeat.
  6. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    How bout an iBook running Virtual PC? :D

I service many Dells... If you can, get the Latitude line instead of the Inspiron. Historically I have had much higher success with Latitudes over Inspirons.

(I can't pinpoint it exactly. But I did have 2 times the service calls on the Inspirons over the latitudes... )
  7. manitoublack macrumors newbie

Jan 13, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Lg have just released a line, I don't know haow good they are.

Secondly tyr posting in the correct fourm.
  8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I dunno what ThinkPad you can get for your budget, but my vote for x86 laptops always goes to IBM.
  9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I have to agree with everyone else here, IBM makes a sturdy well designed laptop, function over style in the lower end but thats expected ...
  10. iKwak macrumors member

Nov 20, 2003
    A used IBM Thinkpad R series.
    Actually a new one. :)
  11. kidA macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2002
    the problem with PC laptops is that they're more expensive for quality. sure there are lots of low cost machines out there with great looking specs, but they have option of using cheap parts and casings. and that's what you'll get with low cost PC laptops.
    it's been said but i'll repeat: stay away from dell's inspiron line. even dell geeks will tell you this. latitudes are much better. the D500 is a centrino machine and you can get it with like 512 MB RAM, a 30 or 40 GB HD, 1.3 GHz P-M, combo drive, 14.1" XGA for like $1300. it only weighs less than 5 lbs too. but you generally see where they had to cut the costs though--integrated, shared graphics memory, etc. the thing about the latitude D500 is that it's low priced, has an internal optical drive, AND is lightweight--something mac users have had for a few years with the iBook, but something relatively foreign on the PC side of things.
  12. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    get one with centrino it'll give you semi decent battery life and weigh less
    as far as brand, dell is okay some of the new hp's are looking pretty good too
  13. jamdr macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    Get a Dell, IBM, or Sony. DON'T get a Compaq--they really are cheap pieces of junk. I've had to work with a number of Compaq laptops over the past few years, and they just suck. They are extremely loud and run hot. Also, if you are going to get a PC laptop, get a Centrino. That is, unless you want a huge, 3.5" thick, hot, loud, plastic mess. Really though, I'd just stick with Apple. I might consider a PC if I were getting a desktop, but I just can't stand most of the PC laptops out there.

By the way, what kind of PowerBook did your brother drop? I mean, it must be a pretty good one if you think it's worth $1100 broken. Why don't you just get that one fixed?
  14. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    We just ordered a Dell inspiron 5100 for our sales department.

$1048 with a p4, 512mb ram, 60gb drive and xp Pro.
  15. djdarlek macrumors regular

Oct 10, 2003
    shouldn't we all be recommending HP laptops now? ;)