Good time to buy a MacBookPro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Simo12, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Simo12 macrumors newbie

Good time to buy a MacBookPro?

Hello,
    I might soon be purchasing a MacBookPro and I was wondering is it a good time?
    A. Do you think a new one will be out by Feb 1st 2007?
    B. Will a new one come around April next year?

Simo

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I personally don't think that the line will see any major revisions outside of a slight speed bump, but as this is a future guessing game, you never know. Perhaps they'll have an altogether new design in a few months, who knows. The best rule to live by is if you need it now - get it now. If you can wait a while, wait a while and see.

3. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If you can hold off till February, then it's best to wait for your purchase to have Mac OS X Leopard pre-installed.

As mentioned above, there might be a few extra tweaks as well.

4. capone2 macrumors regular

if u could wait

i would.

Leopard and I'm sure faster and who knows what else???

5. Play Ultimate macrumors 6502

Wait for at least a month...

Unless you need the computer now, I would at least wait until after MacWorld in January. They probably will not release Leopard until Mar/Apr. However, they usually announce iLife in January so you would get the latest version by waiting.

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Leopard may not be officially due till spring '07, but Apple might decide to

move the schedule forward just to irritate Microsoft. :rolleyes:

All the screen shots I've seen of Vista look like a cheap copy of OS X Jaguar.

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i think there will be a major upgrade at MWSF. if not then, we'll at least see one before Leopard is released (spring '07).

that said, the MBPs available now are great machines. for Internet, word processing, music, photos, etc., you can't go wrong. the potential extra speed and advancements (while nice) will only help if you really do processor-intensive tasks. i.e., there's not much difference in using Safari or MSWord between a CD MBP and a C2D MBP.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I think that the current MacBook Pros are awesome computers, and would not hesitate to buy one now. :)

9. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

Yarrr.... I'm going through the same thing. I'd love to buy myself a new MBP as a Christmas present (to myself)...

But how long to wait for iLife'07, or Leopard....

I have a long history of buying a mac, only to have them release some kind of major update/upgrade within a month.

10. djkny macrumors 6502

Wait. Wait. Wait. Buy. Buy. Buy. No, wait, maybe, buy now or later? The endless game, to which I also subscribed until Oct 2006 when C2D emerged.

The MBP C2D was JUST UPDATED ... if you wait until MW '07, i GUARANTEE you'll end up waiting until WWDC to get Santa Rosa; if not then, then MW '08, or, on third thought, for the G6 PowerBook tablet.

Just buy it now, save time and enjoy!

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

April-June 2007 is the better bet.

But as soon as the new Santa Rosa/Centrino Pro machines start hitting the shelves, you know Apple won't be too far behind.

They just need Intel to ramp up to production enough to handle them, since Apple needs 60-100k a week versus someone else who won't mind 10k lots of the next best thing.

12. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

If you want it now...buy it. If you can wait at least until Jaunary for WWDC...wait.

13. KipCoon macrumors regular

KipCoon

Like they all say, wait until Leopard if you don't need it immediatly, and if you do, go for it!!!! Roomy had to get one for classes, and loves it. Runs everythign we've thrown at it so far in the realms of graphic design and it plays games pretty well as far as a laptop, not dedicated to gaming, can do.

For me, I'd do it, Leopard is about $129, and I want my MB now so I went ahead and bit the bullet :p

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

15. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

I think it's reasonable to expect a minor update each quarter... following Intel's update schedule.

16. iris_failsafe macrumors 6502

iris_failsafe

I am returnig to college to do a masters degree. i have decided to wait for a MBP with Leopard and maybe a BlueRay drive.

I would like to have Maya as a universal binary...