Good time to buy a powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jld, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. jld macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2003
    #1
    I see apple has a refurb 867 Mhz 12" powerbook for $1200. Is a major price drop anticipated anytime soon? New models coming out? Anything in the next couple months that will make me regret buying now?
     
  2. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

    ColoJohnBoy

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2003
    Location:
    Denver, Colorado
    #2
    Uhhhhhh.... dude? PowerBooks were just updated. The next updates probably won't be until April or May of 2004, and those will probably just be faster G4's. Buy the PowerBook - you won't regret it.
     
  3. jld thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2003
    #3
    I know, but better to ask then regret.

    Comments on Refurbed Items from Apple?
     
  4. ebow macrumors 6502a

    ebow

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2001
    Location:
    Trapped in a world before later on
    #4
    Dont' forget the Mac Rumors Buyer's Guide

    As for refurbs from Apple... I haven't heard too many major complaints around these parts.
     
  5. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2002
    Location:
    Southern California
    #5
    Just bough a new 17 inch PB yesterday. Could'nt be more satisfied.
     
  6. Waluigi macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2003
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #6
    jld--

    Now is the best time to buy a powerbook! Do it, and be happy.


    That is fantastic!

    --Waluigi
     
  7. jld thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2003
    #7
    Should I upgrade the ram now? I'm used to be a mac guy (Last mac was a LC475) So to say the least I'm out of the loop. Would I notice much of a performance upgrade with 512MB?
     
  8. amin macrumors 6502a

    amin

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2003
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #8
    Yes, I have noticed a significant performance improvement in my 12" PB 867 after putting the 512MB chip in. Since the new 1GHz 12" costs the same as the 867 MHz did a weeks ago, it is probable that the soon to be available 1GHz refurbs won't cost much more than $1200. I would wait to see if you can get the "new" 12" PB for comparable prices in a month or so. I bought my 12"er about 6 weeks ago, and I kinda wish I had waited although I am very satisfied with my PB.
     
  9. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

    bennetsaysargh

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2003
    Location:
    New York
    #9
    i think it's a good idea. especiallyon a budget like a lot of people are:(
     
  10. jld thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2003

Share This Page