Good time to buy Airport Extreme basestation?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Neuro, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Neuro macrumors regular

Neuro

Hi, just wondering if there are any expected revisions to the AE basestations. I need to buy a new one but don't want to miss out on any new features that may come along soon.

Also, I currently use an original grey Airport basestation. Do you know if the usable range is better on the newer units?

Thanks.

2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I don't think the AE will be updated any time soon.
    The only thing imo they could do is add BT and their own remote... but i doubt that will happen any time soon.

As for the range i have no idea whatsoever. My guess is it's the same.

Cheers

Edit: i am talking about the express - the one with the tunes, hence the remote, sry if this wasn't clear

On the range of the AE: it depends on the WiFi standard it uses. A new one will go faster and more far i'd say :confused: :eek:

3. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I have an Extreme and it is a good product. However if I was buying another one today I would get an Express, almost the same thing but you get remote speakers.

I think the Extreme has an extra Ethernet port and can handle more users though.

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, I bought an Express for the use of a printer and well, the music part of it was a bonus and I get full coverage in my house. I say this because 3/4 of my basement is finished with the use of metal studs so... I've been very happy with it. :)

5. AAPL_to_$100 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased 2 AEs, one at full price and one off the refresh table for $79. One is hooked up to the DSL modem (w/ speakers) and the 2nd is hooked up to a printer in another room bridged to the DSL. Good stuff, works like a charm with my Toshiba laptop...soon to add a PB15. I'm all over the place with the laptop and no problems connecting from anywhere.

6. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I definitely recommend Airport Express; AirTunes aside, it has better signal strength than my Microsoft and Actiontec access points and the USB port alone makes it worth it from an iPod standpoint.

7. Michael8510 macrumors newbie

I was considering the AExtreme, but after reading the reviews on CNet, no way. So then, I'm thinking... maybe the express, which got good ratings? No, because I can get a Belkin Pre-N router, which has much better ratings & range than both, for the price of an AExpress.

AExtreme: $199 http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_AirPo...reless_access_point/4505-3245_7-20852329.html
    Editors' rating:6.9 Fair
    Average user rating:7.6 Good (from 20 users)
    The good:Excellent performance in an 802.11g-only network at close range; attractive design; solid security; allows network bridging.
    The bad:performance drops in mixed-mode (802.11b and 802.11g) environment; has a short range; weak tech support; only two Ethernet ports; doesn't include an Ethernet cable.
    The bottom line:The AirPort Extreme performs well in a close-knit 802.11g network, but it's not fast enough in mixed mode to warrant upgrading.

AExpress: $119 http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_AirPort_Express_Base_Station_with_AirTunes/4505-3304_7-30910240.html
    Editors' rating:8.1 Very good
    Average user rating:Be one of the first to rate this product!
    The good:Windows and Apple compatible; works as a USB print server; streams digital music via iTunes; excellent performance; WDS capable.
    The bad:No browser-based configuration; no SPI firewall; lacks configurable port filtering; no built-in interface for audio control.
    What's it for:Adding Wi-Fi to a wired network, bridging two LANs, repeating Wi-Fi signals, printing over a network, and streaming digital audio with iTunes.
    Who's it for:iTunes/iPod fans interested in setting up or adding onto an existing wireless network.
    Business use:File sharing and network printing.
    Essential extras:A wireless adapter for your computer.
    The bottom line:This is among the best compact wireless-networking devices available.

Belkin Pre-N: $118 http://reviews.cnet.com/Belkin_Wireless_Pre_N_router/4505-3319_7-30993672.html
    Editors' rating:8.4 Very good
    Average user rating:
    The good:Fast; great range; simple setup; includes software for both Windows and Mac.
    The bad:pricey; requires MIMO adapter to achieve its full potential.
    What's it for:Setting up a wireless network.
    Who's it for:Those looking for a long-range wireless solution, say, someone with a big house or a large office.
    Business use:Sharing an Internet connection; standard file and printer sharing.
    Essential extras:You'll need Belkin's Pre-N PC Card adapter to take full advantage of the router's range.
    The bottom line:If you're looking for a router with great range, this is it.