Good time to buy G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by illustratorDavi, Nov 3, 2004.

1. illustratorDavi macrumors 6502

Hi

I know this question gets asked all the time but is now a good time to buy a G5 ?

I'm looking at getting a 2.5ghz or 2ghz G5 at the London Applestore opening if they are available (I know - very unlikely!!)

Or should I wait until Tiger is out at the end of March ?

Thanks
    David

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The usual thinking is that if you have need of a new computer now, then go ahead and purchase. I would think that if you are among the early customers to enter the Apple Store your chances should be very good of getting a G5.

I don't really expect an upgrade to the G5 until at least WWDC in June.

3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

And by then it will have Tigar as standard. (Hopefully fingers crossed)

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Being that there's very likely not going to be any significant changes to the PowerMac line at least through the end of the year, and likely not even then, wdlove's stock advice is correct.

The G5s, even the 2.0s (of which I have a revA model) are solid, very fast machines no matter how you look at it. Right now the 2.0s are probably a better budget proposition (plus better availability), but either should make you a happy camper.

On the other hand, if you don't really need a new Mac quite yet, waiting until January (or so) will probably at least get you a cheap copy of Tiger when it ships later in the year. Of course, that's trading a $130 piece of software for two to three months without a new computer. Whether it's worth it is your call.

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I would buy now, just waiting is going to end up in disappointment, I don't think there will be a G5 update at MWSF, might as well buy now.

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Just buy one now, I doubt we will see any major revisions to the PowerMac line by MWSF. Plus, it's a G5 for Pete's sake, it's a powerful machine and no doubt will amply handle any tasks you may want to throw at it. :cool:

As for your comment about Tiger in March, doubtful. Tiger will not be available until June '05 I'm predicting.

7. lazymuoio macrumors member

you should check the buyers guid eit is your friend and will prevent you from getting flamed but that aside i would say yes now is a very good time to buy a G5 bc i dont see a revison till MWSF and you could avoid whatever holiday shipping delays that could arise

8. illustratorDavi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks people !!

Thanks for the great response.

I think I should probably pick up a new G5 when the Apple Store London opens.

I think I having second thoughts because the buyer guide says "only buy if you need one"

Does anyone know what that small hole is on the bottom-right of the apple screens - is it a microphone like on the imac G4 ?

Thanks
    David

9. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

No no! Wait until MacWorld- they are gonna announce the new G6 PowerMacs!!!!

:p

About the only purchase worth possibly waiting on would be the Powerbook IMO, on the off-chance they have news or announce a G5 PowerBook. Even that seems unlikely, and wouldn't be available in quantity for awhile if they did announce.

AFAIK everything else would only be incremental revs (if at all.)

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I don't see an update as likely any time soon just because I don't think IBM can supply any faster chips than they are doing now. They are still struggling to meet demand on the 2.5 Ghz chips as it is...

11. themacman macrumors 6502

Dont buy now

I exspect a G5 update before Febuary and march

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Don't you mean for Peter's sake? ;)

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Really? Before February and March? I wouldn't have thought Apple would release 2 updates so close together, but if you say so... :p :cool:

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Nope. I meant Pete's. :p :cool:

15. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Then it would take a good 3 months for the best one to finally get out to mass market...

Please sir, just buy now. I highly doubt you use Motion or Shake extensivly enough to be able to notice a difference between, dual 2.5's and dual 2.8's or whatever it will be next

kyle

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree, and I think this raises a good point - many people seem to forget that they are not Pro users. Are you going to be using Logic 7, FCP HD, Shake, Motion, and the entire Adobe CS intensively everyday, in some cases to make your living? No. Then don't worry about getting the latest and greatest, a DP 2.5 G5 is more than adequate for many people's needs. And for the Pro users, yes, I totally appreciate your requirements however they are different from that of a 15-year old who just wants a "cool" machine and wants the latest and greatest so he can play UT2004 or whatever it is they like playing nowadays.

17. neut macrumors 68000

neut

if you need it and are a power user (high end audio/video or research) then get a refurd dual 2.5 if they have them over there. i just got one for 2,799 US. :) it ****in' rocks!

i don't expect another significant upgrade this year... (don't quote me on that). i bought it cause i want to get a DVD released by Christmas (local bands - organech stuff and a bonus album/compilation). :D six months 0% APR!!!

woo-hoo!

peace.

18. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Is there a bad time to buy a G5? :D

Seriously though, I bought mine in November last year. Couldn't have been happier :) especially since there's been 3 revisions of G5 1.8 since then, only the original dual being better than mine. (IMO)

19. illustratorDavi thread starter macrumors 6502

In reply to :

Yes, I am a freelance illustrator/publisher and animator and would be using these packages constantly

I can see how 15 year olds would love to buy a powerful computer like the 2.5 but how many can they afford to buy it.

David

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Please note I said "some people" - I in no way was implying you were one of them, in fact, I kind of assumed you were more of a Pro user. ;) Again, there are some peopler who require the latest and greatest for the very tasks that you do on a daily basis, but so many others, well, don't. I think you can appreciate that. :)

21. illustratorDavi thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry ~Shard~

Hi ~Shard~

Yes, I know you didn't mean to class me as a 15 year old game player :)

I didn't describe my purpose for buying a G5 in my original post - so i just wanted to clarify reason for buying a G5

Thanks for the great advice

David

22. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I'm looking at an AL ACD right now and the hole is actually a white LED. It's dark when the monitor is on, and flashes bright when you power the monitor on or off, and when the monitor is in standby mode it pulses slowly. HTH.

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No worries at all David, just wanted to make sure there were no misunderstandings. :cool:

I hope this thread has helped you make your decision!

24. illustratorDavi thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, ive been looking at my bank balance this morning - so im ready for London Apple Store opening

Thanks for the help

David

25. Floop macrumors regular

See you at the Apple Store London opening then!

Personally, I'm going to wait for the next bump to the PowerMac line before buying.

The MacRumors buyer's guide indicates that, based on average times between PowerMac updates, the next one will be due in early December.

Obviously, this is an unlikely time of year for an update, and right now IBM are struggling to fill orders. However Apple did say in their end of quarter briefing that they expect to promptly fulfill orders of all items in their product line by the end of this quarter.

This information means that by MWSF in January, the PowerMac line will be 6 months old and due an upgrade, and IBM may be generating the current chips in sufficient quantities that they can then start trickling out a 2.8GHZ chip for instance.

I have a PowerBook already so have no need to get the PowerMac right now, but fingers crossed the PowerMac line will get a bump by the end of January, maybe to 2.0, 2.5 and 2.8 GHZ. That's what I'm hoping for at least.

Floop