Good time to get a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CplToast, Jul 14, 2006.

  1. CplToast macrumors newbie

    Jul 14, 2006
    Recently I've decided on gettin a Macbook Pro, but before I did I wanted to do a little research. It was then I found out about the Mac conference coming up August 7th and how a lot of people are thinking that there will be announcements concerning the new mobile Core Duos being put in the MBPs.
    So my question is should I wait a while on getting a MBP, or is there a good chance nothing is going to change after the conference?
  2. MacNub macrumors newbie

    Jun 4, 2006
    Wait if you can wait, buy it now if you can't wait. It's that simple :)
  3. azzurri000 macrumors 6502

    Nov 9, 2005
    There is also speculation that the formfactor might change. The rule of thumb that I've noticed around MacRumors is that if you need one now, go for it. They are great models, afterall. However, if you are afforded the luxury of waiting, do that instead. A 64-bit chip would be the reward.

    Even if you're not concerned about having the very latest and greatest, you would most likely see the current models at discounted prices... so you'll be getting more for your $$.

    In sum, no it is not a good time to get a MacBook Pro unless you desperately need one. Wait!
  4. Church macrumors regular


    May 9, 2005
    Waiting blows...
    My GF is all over me because I told her to wait. Hopefully something happens so I don't get the "no sex for making me wait on a mac" treatment. (She's wanting to switch from windoze unbelievably bad) :eek: ;) :p
  5. CplToast thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 14, 2006
    Yeah, I kinda figured I would wait. The only thing that would prompt me to buy one now is that they are drop dead sexy. But I guess patience is a virtue. Though if they do put the new processors in there, they had better do it fairly soon after the conference is over....

    Thanks folks.
  6. azzurri000 macrumors 6502

    Nov 9, 2005

    Sorry to hear that, dude. I'll pray for you, "Church."
  7. 4God macrumors 68020


    Apr 5, 2005
    My Mac
    And probably 4Mb L2 cache. ;)
  8. appledu macrumors member


    Jun 16, 2006
    Somewhere. I don't remember ...
    I'm waiting too...
    Will be buying around November.

    But, supposing that the processors (Merom) will be in by then, will those MBPs be considered Rev A machines?

    I'm asking as a lot of people on here advise against Rev A machines...

  9. jaydub macrumors 6502a


    Jan 12, 2006
    The way I see it, if the Merom brings a new case (and a whole new processor) it will be a revA machine.

    I am happy with my MBP, and I know that regardless of what or when I buy, it'll be outdated eventually anyway.
  10. Topono macrumors member

    Jun 12, 2006
    I would wait. The WWDC is coming up, and Merom is coming out soon (I think).

Share This Page