Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheHernanFR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Monterey, CA.
Hello everyone. I have been thinking of getting the New iPod Touch 5th Generation. I have the 4th Generation model since 2010. Its still good, but now it is getting sluggish. I was thinking about getting the new iPod Touch 5th Generation, but its already 5 months old. Should I get the 5th Generation, or should I wait for the 6th Generation? Please Reply ASAP.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I really do have a feeling that end June, Apple might release Touch 5 16gb.

But if you prefer 32GB, anytime is perfect time to get the Touch. Unless we are in September and apple is not releasing Touch 6 but will lower price for Touch 5.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Why would Apple release a 16GB model, with a lower profit margin? Is the iPt5 not selling well in the 32/64GB capacities?
If anything I would see them release a 128GB model, along with a 128GB iPhone.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Hello everyone. I have been thinking of getting the New iPod Touch 5th Generation. I have the 4th Generation model since 2010. Its still good, but now it is getting sluggish. I was thinking about getting the new iPod Touch 5th Generation, but its already 5 months old. Should I get the 5th Generation, or should I wait for the 6th Generation? Please Reply ASAP.

I have the iPod Touch 5G, and I love it. It can run just about any modern iOS app that the latest iPhone can run.

Look. Reality is that the iPod line is NOT one of Apple's priorities, because it's a tiny fraction of their revenues. That means that Apple is IN NO HURRY to competitively update it right away (like they have to do with the iPads and iPhones where they need to compete fiercely against rivals like Samsung who release a new tablet every 6 days, insert sarcasm here).

Secondly, there are hardly any rumors of a "newer" iPod Touch coming up any time soon.

So in summary? Right now is probably an OK time to buy one if you want or need one.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I would never buy an Apple product unless it was released less than 2 month previous. If you want a 6th gen I would wait, especially if your 4th gen still works. (I only bought the 5th gen because my 4th gen broke and I needed 64GB)

mohitster

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013

I don't expect them to refresh iPod touch this year at all. Last one was a pretty big update and they would not bother with it till 2014. So, I guess you should just go for it.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Why would Apple release a 16GB model, with a lower profit margin? Is the iPt5 not selling well in the 32/64GB capacities?
If anything I would see them release a 128GB model, along with a 128GB iPhone.

Apple never really release their sales figure of the Ipod touch like they did with the Ipad series.

Plus there is much complain that price is close to Ipad mini which obviously is a huge hit. Why would you want to spend 299 when 30 more you get a 8 inch ipad.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Apple never really release their sales figure of the Ipod touch like they did with the Ipad series.

Plus there is much complain that price is close to Ipad mini which obviously is a huge hit. Why would you want to spend 299 when 30 more you get a 8 inch ipad.

But you may not want a tablet, you are looking for something portable. The mini is not portable.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
I bet you'll say that for the 6th generation when it comes out :p

Edit: Huh, emoticons don't seem to work on tapatalk.

Except the 4th Generation is way too slow for iOS 6 and I cannot believe Apple still sells them with iOS 7 coming around the corner. It is 3 year old hardware (that never really was state of the art at it's prime) on a brand new OS. The 5th gen is still not state of the art compared to the new iPads and iPhone 5 but it is actually pretty fast and I would expect it to keep up for a few years of new versions of iOS. However I don't expect apple to keep selling them for 3 years, that I really hope does not happen...

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Apple may or may not release an iPod Touch along side the iPhone as it did with the iPhone 5. Apple did skip a year of iPod touch so take anything with a grain of salt. No one knows. But if your making a decision now. iPod Touch 5th Generation is the best.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

Get it.

Apple doesn't update the touch every year, it's every 2 years.

Notice the iphone 4s came out, no update to the touch, but the 5 came out the touch was updated and when the 5s is out the touch won't be out until the iphone 6 comes out

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Get it.

Apple doesn't update the touch every year, it's every 2 years.

Notice the iphone 4s came out, no update to the touch, but the 5 came out the touch was updated and when the 5s is out the touch won't be out until the iphone 6 comes out

2011 was the only year since the iPod Touch's introduction in 2007 where it wasn't updated.

davydavy

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
I don't expect them to refresh iPod touch this year at all. Last one was a pretty big update and they would not bother with it till 2014. So, I guess you should just go for it.

I'd expect to see a 16GB Touch but no refresh otherwise (except perhaps minor improvements in speed, camera, new colors etc). Apple will be looking to introduce products at lower price points for both the iPhone 5 and iPod Touch 5th gen to standardise on form factor and allow IOS to move on from the older generation hardware.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
2011 was the only year since the iPod Touch's introduction in 2007 where it wasn't updated.

Actually Ipod touch updates every year. In 2011, they added the white version of Gen 4. Though i doubt they could do anything with it this year judging how competitorless it is in the market.

baffld

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
It's on sale at Best Buy this week, as are the iPads (which have a more significant price drop.)

Somebody on tv suggested perhaps new models of each are about to be released since sales are so rare.

Might be something you want to look into?

Or, if you do buy soon, maybe keep a close watch to see if a new model comes out while you still could return it and get the latest/greatest? :confused:

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
I'd buy one if it wasn't for the stupid fact that Apple moronically made the device so thin, that they compromised the ambient light sensor which is a very useful function in my opinion (saves battery life).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.