Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002
Seems I have problems with noisy power, which is causing system shutdowns with my hardware. There are so many options and little review or suggestions, so I am looking for some suggestions

Anyhow, I have a PM G4 Dual 1.25

I don't need anything like 5 minutes or backup power, I need a buffer to keep the power clean.

I'd like to keep the cost around $100 if that is reasonable.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
I'd recommend APC (http://www.apc.com).

The more you spend, the more you get -
I use an APC surge arrest personal, and although I'm not sure if it does anything, I've never had a power problem. It is supposed to protect you against noisy power, but I'm sure it wouldn't do much in a brownout. You'd need to buy a UPS for that.

A low-end APC Back-UPS CS or Pro will probably give you around 5 min but you need your power req, and they run anywhere from $70 - $200.

-Wyrm

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
I work with roughly 20 computers (including 3 servers) that are all on APCs. They work great. I work in an area with a very unstable power grid and they smooth out the power perfectly. Don't cheat yourself, but the best that you can afford, perhaps a 350, 650, or the like. They also have an application on their website (or call in) that will help you choose the proper UPS.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Another vote for APC products. I have a couple of them -- the Office Backups type, I forget the model. Both have worked very well during our power outages. The computers keep running and give time to shut down. They also condition the power. For $75-100, it's good protection to have.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
APC sells a line conditioner with no battery power which may be better than a UPS for you. Why? It corrects undervolts and overvolts where a cheap UPS might not, it won't fail with age (I guess), and it generally acts as a really good surge protector. I almost got one, but instread got a high-end UPS that has batteries and this functionality. :)

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=67

At my house we've got perhaps 5 APC office type 500VA backups which seem to work well (cost $60 at SAMS), as well as the 1500VA one I just got. The high-end adds features like battery charge and load read out, plus automatic battery checking, and power conditioning. I like it a lot so far.

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002
Thanks for all the advice. I picked up an APC ES500 for $20 at Staples.

Surge protection and UPS so I should be covered.

I was on clearance, I didn't realize it doesn't have the USB connection for the Powerchute software. That isn't my real need, I think I now have a pretty good line conditioner and for $20 I don't think I can go to wrong.

Originally posted by ddtlm
APC sells a line conditioner with no battery power which may be better than a UPS for you. Why? It corrects undervolts and overvolts where a cheap UPS might not, it won't fail with age (I guess), and it generally acts as a really good surge protector. I almost got one, but instread got a high-end UPS that has batteries and this functionality. :)

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=67

At my house we've got perhaps 5 APC office type 500VA backups which seem to work well (cost $60 at SAMS), as well as the 1500VA one I just got. The high-end adds features like battery charge and load read out, plus automatic battery checking, and power conditioning. I like it a lot so far.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I got one at Frys

I dont remember the name.. I think it was like powerForce... or something like that. I got it for $39 on some super sale and it gives me about 15 min uptime with the LCD, 867, and wireless router.

I think I Have seen it for $69 arround town

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.