Good vacuum cleaner for cripes sake

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Mar 2, 2004.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

My current vacuum cleaner is a piece of crap. Worthless plastic.
    I remember when vacuum cleaners were built like tanks. Not anymore! Designed to self-destruct I say! Then have to buy another! Sounds familiar eh?
    It's a conspiracy I tell you.
    I'm thinking about getting one of those Euro Shark vacs but I'm reading some mixed reactions to them even though they look so versatile.
    Then there's Oreck. Their vacuums are expensive! But they have to be good. I see that damn bowling ball demonstration and that old bald dude saying that it sucks reeeaaal gooood.
    I WANT A VACUUM THAT CAN TAKE IT! In other words the vacuum cleaner version of a Mac!

2. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Maybe they're all made my MS? (check sig :p :p )

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i like my oreck... :D

4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Get a Kirby. $1,200.00, weighs just over 400 pounds, and is indestructible. I will never buy another. Oreck's are rated poor on wood floors. Best bet is Hoover WindTunnel (the $250.00 model) Best rating. Trust me, I've been researching. Now go out and get one, then get back and finish the laundry Alice.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think the words you're looking for are: "I'd say this vacuum sucks, but I'd be lying" -a friend's uncle. :D

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

400lbs!?!?!?

[​IMG]

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i just got a dirtdevil bagless vac....works great for me, but then again im a college student, it all depends on what your needs and wants are too....

good luck!!

8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

HOOVER

Good thread! We JUST bought a Hoover Top of the Line Vaccuum. I dont know the exact model number, but here are the specs (It was like 270$)

-V2 Model
    -Bagless Upright
    -Hepa Filtration
    -Self propelled (it is easy to move back and forth, it has a motor)
    -Awesome accessories

It is like U-8xxx model. I just know the 8 is first. This is how good of a vaccuum it is...

We cleaned the house with the old vaccuum like a day prior to getting the new one. We used the new one in just ONE ROOM, and the canister was half full of hair, dirt, dust, etc.

We had to empty the canister like 4 times when we did the whole house. Thats how much crap it picked up.

My dad has allergies kinda bad, and he said he has been breathing better ever since we did the house.

9. thecow macrumors 6502

On techtv they where reviewing a Dyson vacuum cleaner. They said that it was worth the 400$-500$.

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

HAHAHAHA!!
    something about a 'self-propelled' vaccuum cleaner cracks me up... :D

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

You should try one of those automatic self controlled ones and post back with your experiences. I've been curious about those.

scem0

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Don't get the Euro Shark thingie, it's a knockoff of various "vacuum sweepers" made by Dirt Devil over the years. Pretty much ineffectual.

I've personally heard bad things about Oreck, but they do use them in many hotels. I don't know, but it does have a certain brand name recognition.

As for the Roomba robot... I have one of these, i must say it's great. It's a bitch to use the first time, because you have to follow it around, finding the places it will get stuck or pull on cords or the like, but once you've "roomba-proofed" the room, it works great. The one caution tho, I would keep a cheap upright around, because it uses less vacuum power than an upright-- so the roomba can't get the really deep-down dust. Vacuum with the upright once every month or two. I understand the new ones have a remote control, which would be cool for spot cleaning.

paul

13. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Take my word for it, get the Hoover. I believe it has the highest cleaning rating of any upright vaccuum.

We read a lot of reviews and stuff before we bought, this WAS the best.

It has dirt lights on the front too. If it is green, the area is clean. If it is read, the area is dirty and needs to be re-vaccuumed a few times.

14. cpjakes macrumors 6502

I couldn't disagree more about a Kirby - by far the BEST vacuum ever. They are really solid and well built. They are heavy, but they work. We've gone through two of them in our house in 30 years. They are expensive but the dealers take trade ins and mark down the price, just like a car.

15. Awimoway macrumors 65816

What about that twit on the new TV commercial who says he completely rebuilt the vacuum cleaner because they all [fail to] suck? You could try his.

The only piece of advice I can offer is that the bagless vacs look all cool and space-agey, but they're actually worse. As soon as they start accumulating some crap in their bagless container, they progressively lose suction power.

I've had good success with my Hoover WindTunnel that I bought a couple years ago. The attachments are cheap P.O.S.'s, but the vacuum itself does a damn fine job.

16. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I've got one of these, and it is incredible. I've never seen a better designed, better built, better sucking vacuum. It's costly, but well worth it. They also offer one of the best warranties. I accidentally damaged it, and Dyson paid for shipping back to the factory and fixed it, no questions asked. I was impressed to say the least.

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

My parents have a Kirby, they've had it for like 10 years, inherited from my great-grandma who had it for about 5... the thing is still in perfect condition, probably the most powerful upright i've used. i swear you could take the head off it and use it as a woodchipper. And yes, it's freaking heavy! all metal, all replaceable. I do remember her paying over $1,000 for it, and well spent. The hose is truly crushproof, and by god it looks like a vacuum ought to... european styling. of course, the newer ones look all high-tech. Still, if i had the cash, this is definitely the brand i'd have.

i can't believe i'm in a discussion about vacuums. it might be time for bed.

paul

18. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

DYSON

Get a Dyson but make sure your carpet is nailed down.

19. lind0834 macrumors regular

Awimoway -

The Dyson Vacuum is the one where the infomercial is about the guy who created 5,000 prototypes before he found the perfect design.

Also, supposedly it is designed so that it keeps sucking the same no matter how much junk is in the holder.. hopefully solving the usual bagless problem.. but who knows.. maybe they just made it so powerful that even though it sucks less, it still sucks more than the usual vac.

20. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

From my experience, you can't beat a Dyson. The first time you use it, you will fill it in just a few minutes because it will pick up so much more than your last cleaner.

It was invented by James Dyson, an inventor who has come up with several very clever ideas. This is my favourite Dyson invention.

21. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i used to sell Kirby vacuums, and my Mum has a Dyson, we did head tohead tests, and the Kirby blew the Dyson away. the Kirby will even suck all the dead skin and stuff out of your mattress :eek:

yes they're expensive, but you can get them for at least 35% off the asking price, sometimes even ha;f price if you buy the demonstrator's one (which will have been used very little most of the time)

of all the other vacuums, don't bother, if you can't spring for the Kirby, get the Dyson. The Kirby will last years, built the way they should be, none of this planned obselescence crap. it may be heavy, but it does have a motor, so it is the easiest to use too, and a ton of accessories...

hope that helps...and yeah, i can't believe i'm talking about vacuum cleaners!!!

22. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

WOW

Great responses guys. That Dyson is one funky looking machine and it looks promising. Will get that for the home.
    The Kirby looks like serious equipment but it may be a little overboard for me.
    As for cleaning the car. I think I'll get an Oreck Ironman canister. Thing weighs only 7 lbs.. I'll give Oreck a try also.
    Thank you. Now I shall suck like I've never sucked before. :D

23. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I've really been wanting to get a Roomba... I know it probably won't get the deep stuff but... it's just cool... :) and I think my cat would enjoy it... anybody else have one besides one of the posters above that would care to share?

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've had a refurbished Fantom vacuum cleaner for several years and would recommend them above all others. It's enough to pull the colour from the carpet.

As for Oreck, they were testing one at a place where I worked. They certainly were light but they also wouldn't suck up anything. It was not nearly as good as the $100 Eureka they were using.

My parents have a Euro Pro Shark and it's okay, if you're trying to clean out the car or do baseboards but that's about it. I have a small Toshiba Tos-Vac and it seems quite a bit better.