Good vector graphics software

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aid, Mar 31, 2004.

1. aid macrumors newbie

Hi,

Once upon a time, many years ago I used a wonderful vector graphics program called Artworks on the Acorn RiscOS operating system. This later became Xara X in the PC world.

I'm a Mac user now and am hunting for a good vector graphics program similar to Xara X that is not too expensive - preferably <= $100.

I see all these beautiful icons on the Mac for the applications - would be good to know what people are using for these.

I did try out Illustrator on a friend's machine, but found it's method of editing lines and bezier curves truly awful...

Any pointers appreciated!

Cheers,

aid

2. bluemonkey macrumors regular

Illustrator is really the Industry standard. As for the bezier curves, you'll get used to them. Illustrator is a very powerful program, with tools robust enough to make almost photorealistic illustrations. Just get one of those books like the "Visual Quickstart Guide", and it'll help you limp your way through the curves problem.

Hope this helps,
    Jason
    <><

3. aid thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not the use of bezier curves per se that is the problem - been playing with those since Acorns !Draw application in 1999 - but Illustrator's user interface for manipulating them that I find terrible.

Check out http://www.xara.com/gallery/ for some excellent examples of what Xara X can do...

Thanks for the feedback though. Maybe it is just because I am quite used to Xara that I find Illustrator difficult as it just does not work the Xara way...

Cheers,

aid

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I really don't like the way Illustrator handles those either, but you'll find that Freehand, Flash, and LiveMotion work the same way.

You might look at Intaglio and EazyDraw. I've forgotten their exact functionality but I'm thinking that they're vector-based and $100 or less.

5. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Check out Eazy Draw 1.5 there was a demo included with the newest MacAddict magazine I haven't gotten around to try it yet though.

It's only $95 here's the link:

http://www.eazydraw.com/

6. bhertz macrumors member

This may not be the cost effective answer you were looking for but I did see a new plug-in for illustrator that allows for more intuitive manipulation of lines called Xtream Path.

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I haven't tried it yet, but the Gimp 2.0 (I'm still usiing 1.2.5) supports some sort of vector graphics. It's free, so it's always worth giving it a shot to see if it will do what you want. I saw a spiffy screenshot of the Gimp mascot guy being edited as a vector drawing or whatever (if I am using these terms wrong, forgive, I'm not a graphic artist by any stretch) today, but I can't find it anymore!

Rob