Good vibes needed - tropical weather

Discussion in 'Community' started by cleo, Sep 24, 2002.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Hey gang,

Just wanted to ask all of you to keep those of us on the Gulf Coast in your thoughts and prayers. NOLA and the northern coast are bracing for the imminent landfall of what will be Hurricane Isadore, and Floridians are keeping a close eye on soon-to-be Hurricane Lili. Both could prove to be very scary situations, and we appreciate all the good vibes you can send us.

Thanks,
    Cleo and the Gulf Coast Gang ;)

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

bad weather

yeah...we've been getting the beginings of it all the past couple days...lots of wind and minimal rainfall...

but later today we're expecting some heavy winds...and by tomorrow morning we're supposed to be hit with some heavy ass winds as well as storms...

all I ask is that u guys keep us in your thoughts...B2TM, thanks for your offer to help me & my family out...I think we're gonna stick around and stick it out...wouldn't be the first time we've been through this sh*t...

I hope this thing dissolves and no one ends up getting a direct hit...if anyone wants to know just how serious a hurricane can be, do a search on "hurricane betsy" :eek:

3. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Hurricanes can be really bad. Down in South Texas, though, we really need the rain. Not a direct hit, but a strong wave of rain would really help. It's funny, because people here got mad when the hurricane wasn't predicted to head towards south Texas...

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wow, good luck eye and all the rest in the path of the beasts....

NOLA is already below sea level in many places, so a nice storm surge wouldn't be good.

I remember being at home in Connecticut when a storm hit one fall. It was really intense, the eye passed right through town. My brother and I went down to the beach (we lived 5 minutes from Long Island Sound) and watched 3' - 5' waves crash in. My car was parked in the lot, 100 yards from the water, but going back later we had to pick seaweed off the windows.

And across the inlet where we were, some idiots were out body surfing in the waves. That's what I grew up thinking hurricaines were. Fun storms that might blow a tree down but not really be all that bad. 70-90 mph wind isn't that bad. It wasn't until later that I realized that we would always (at least in the past 60 years or so) get the little weak storms.

D

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

quickie update...

Well it seems that Isadore will be more wet & wind than destruction. It's been downgraded to a tropical depression...as it's winds are half of what it was yesterday. Thanks to duke for caring about cleo & I... :)

btw...on another note...I'm stuck at work right now due to a flood in the street...damn this sucks!! :eek: :rolleyes:

6. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Watch yourself Eye!

It's headed almost due north at you and it may get bigger if it hits a pocket of warm water big enough. Apparently it'll hit land at about 2AM. From the track it looks like it'll hit NOLA pretty much square on. Good luck buddy.:(

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, its not all bad news. If any of you have been following the events planned around DC Friday and Saturday, there is a large planned IMF and World Bank demonstration taking place here with about 20k people trying to close down the city.

Tropical Storm tracking indicates that the remnants of the storm (gusty wind and lots of rain) should hit DC on Friday and Saturday!!! WhooHoo! That means there won't be half as many people in the streets.

I plan on working at the Lab near my house instead of going in to the city, the World Bank building is only a few blocks from the office. It will still be a mess.

D

8. dreamlance macrumors regular

Thanks for the vibes! I'm just a few hours west of NOLA and we're just now getting the heavier winds and rain coming through. They still won't cancel school though so I guess I'll drag out my pirogue to make it to work tomorrow.

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I don't think many people are gonna know what a pirogue is around here...he he he... ;)

I do remember when I was a kid...maybe 3 or 4 years old....at my old house it flooded and water was up to the porch...

anyway...there were neighbors going down the street in boats w/paddles...I thought it was so awesome to see something like that at that age... :D

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

If you have to go into your basement, to keep from getting sucked up (like in the movies ;)) then don't forget your dog... They always forget the dog... :D. Get your computer too. My dog is important, but what would I do w/o my computer???? BTW - this is post #300! 200 more!

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hmm...we don't have basements here really....we're below sea level...so a basement in a house is really just a low ceiling, bottom floor...

on a light note...when I left work today it ws flooded on the street where my building is located...

and since the street was flooded...I found out that my Matrix is just narrow enough to drive up on the sidwalk...safe from getting too deep into the flooded street...he he he ;) :D

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

No hills around you? I saw a pic of some person in the French Quarter, the streets flooded....I hope you stay dry, good luck!

D

13. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

well good luck.... and may god be with you two.... if they hit, stay on Mr as long as possible and give us updates so we can see if you ok or not.

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

thanks G5...I'll be on here as much as I can since I won't be going to work in the am...;)

duke...u should have seen what the interstate looked like today...under one of the overpasses the water was over car's roofs! :eek:

15. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

whoa dude taht must have been rele scary.... id tell u to fly the hell out of there.. but then again taht wouldnt be a good idea either....

16. iGav macrumors G3

BBC TV Weather has been giving us the weather reports for the New Orleans area....... look like it's gonna be nasty........

I must say though..... I didn't realise where New Orleans was before the BBC pointed it out on the map........ :eek: :eek: :eek: I need to brush up on my Geography....... :p

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If you ever get over to the states, I'd recommend making a trip down there, its a pretty damn cool city, unlike anything else in the US - much more European actually, except most of the streets are still straight. One thing I like about the old world, many cities don't have a street grid throughout, makes it fun and much more interesting. Sienna would be one of my favorites, nice walled city that you really can't drive through.

D

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Speaking of not being able to drive....

What were these idiots thinking?

This is pretty much nuts, how long will it take the waters to recede eye?

D

Attached Files:

19. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Re: Speaking of not being able to drive....

It's called a flash flood, and if you are not familiar with it, don't use harsh words. You can be driving along in the rain, come to an underpass, with a little water - wham! - you are flooded, the engine dies, somebody takes a picture of it. And the next thing you know, someone calls you an idiot on a computer forum.

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Speaking of not being able to drive....

please, If you look at the photo, you'll notice that there are some other vehicles in the background, on the pavement. The drivers who got stuck thought they could drive througn the 'puddle' but didn't realize how deep it was, or thought if you go fast enough, you'll plow right through.... You should never drive through water that you don't know how deep it is. They were stupid, and got caught.

D

21. iGav macrumors G3

I was only thinking the other day, what was actually in that area of the states, then last night on the BBC 10 O' clock news they showed the storm, and what was happening in New Orleans... that's when I noticed where New Orleans was marked on the map...... I just didn't realise it was there, I thought it was nearer the east coast........

I must say though, it's one of the places that I really want to visit over there..... I've done the Pacific Northwest, I've done bits and bobs of the East Coast, I want to do Montana, and I quite fancy doing the coastal bit all around New Orleans, as well as the Carolina's and all that part on the East coast, New England and Maine too.....

Hopefully I'll be getting out to the States early next year for a 2 week break, although not sure where yet....... the U.S. has some many cool places to visit.......

So has the storm hit New Orleans yet???

22. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: Speaking of not being able to drive....

That's 4x4 drivers for you...... INVINCIBLE....... :p

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The storms hit, not much of one compared to the ones that usually get noticed. This mostly rain with a gusty breeze, no high winds, which is great......

If you make it to the states and are in the DC area, let me know, we'll get a pint or two!

D

24. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

aaaahhhhh!!!!

Well the power has just been restored to the area of town where I live. I learned something very interesting today: the pumping stations are on the same electrical system as the neighborhoods are...and have NO BACKUP power supply in the event of an emergency. There are a number of houses in my area who are slightly lower in elevation who have water in them.

To answer your question duke, u would not believe the amount of jackasses who try to brave the floods with their cars & get stuck. People think they can just go full force into the water and somehow their car will get them through with no problem. Of course, I was one of these fools determined to get home yesterday myself...but the water near work was nothing near what this was...so I knew I could get through it...just had to drive on the sidewalk for part of the way... ;)

25. dreamlance macrumors regular

Watching the news this morning about the storm's whereabouts...found it funny that the CNN dude called it the Missouri River instead of Mississippi.

No rain here at all, just high winds. Only 8 hours without power Eye? Just enough for you to get sleep then ;)

And a pirogue (say pee-row) is a Cajun version of a canoe, I believe.