Good way to clean a display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Shacklebolt, May 9, 2005.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Without using products like iKlear - that is to say, using products that one might find around one's house - what's the best way to clean an apple studio display?

Anyone?

2. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Don't do it while it's on and hot, but cleaning a display with a damp, soft, cotton cloth is very effective.

Use a clean worn t-shirt and dip it in some cool water, don't saturate, and wipe the screen. Use an unused portion of the same shirt to dry it.

That should work very well; I use the technique for an iBook LCD and iMac LCD.

3. shorty116 macrumors member

just don't use anything with alcohol or other harsh chemicals and never use a normal glas cleaner, it might damage your displays layer...

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You could try some Windex with the aforementioned T-shirt technique. I find it works really quite well.

5. efoto macrumors 68030

Well, to each his own. I have used the wet t-shirt method before and it works well for me. I also find that using a Optex cloth (sold by Radtech I believe....its been a long while) works well for getting small smudges and removing dust buildup.

6. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I use (very chemical i think) spray foam. Spray it on, let it work and wipe it of.
    NEVER EVER use house cleaning products to clean your CRT screen. Trust me :(. Unless you're sure there's nothing in there that harms the protective layer of the screen.

7. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Soft cotton cloth (you can pick it up at any office supply/computer retail stores) or Microfiber cloth. As previous posts said, make them a little damp with clean water and wipe the screen while it is off. Even though cotton cloth should be okay, if you are very anal to be perfectionist, microfiber cloth is a ticket (it does not scratch). I think you can use Microfiber cloth you use for your car (wiping off polishes, waxes, and sealants) for the computer screen as well (but make sure it is new). MFs usually come in bundle; so, you can use one towel for your Mac and the other for your cars or other scratch-sensitive surfaces.

8. efoto macrumors 68030

There was a spray product of years past, not sure if they still make it, called StatiX, or perhaps Stat-X. It was made for cleaning Televisions, radios, random electronics, etc and had a special static-reducer in it to help with the television screen and other stuff. We used it on our older CRT screens with no problems, but its at home.
    If its of any worth, I probably wouldn't use this on a LCD screen...not sure why, just feels funny. Worked great on CRTs and TVs though.