Good webcam, other than the iSight

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ray_uk, Mar 2, 2006.

1. ray_uk macrumors member

Im looking for a good webcam other then the iSight thats capable of recording at 640x480 @ 30fps smoothly, ive been looking at the Creative Live Motion, Logitech QuickCam Fusion and the Phillips SPC900NC/00 with pixel plus tech.
    All of the above 3 offer the same or greater then specifications then the iSight but ive so far not been able to find out if either of these web cames are mac compatible.

Ive not had any luck on any of their manufacturers websites to see if there compatible, does any one here have one of these and knows that they work or something equal to or greater then the above mentioned ones.

Thanks for any help.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I've been where you are at.

Just get the iSight.

You'll put a hole in your head baniging it against the wall with the other cams. I've tried.

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

4. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I just bought my second iSight. Buy one, seriously.

5. ray_uk thread starter macrumors member

Well I guess I'll have to have a closer look at the iSight then.

:D

6. mhfnyc macrumors newbie

external isight

We are eventually getting the MBP. I know it comes with a built in isight but we really like the manuverability of the external i-sight. Sometimes we use if for panaramic room views when we are away and chatting with family/friends.

Does anyone know if I will be able to use an external I-sight with the new MBPs?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, I too kvetched and eventually got the iSight. The autofocusing is very useful when you're trying to have cybersex and your hands are busy. :eek: ;) :D

8. iGary Guest

iGary

ROFL!!!

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Macally IceCam. It definitely works on Macs. ;)

Most webcams don't, which includes lots of Logitech ones. I have a Samsung one that my ex-gf bought me that I can't even use. She didn't think about Mac compatibility because with PCs, "They Just Work.™"

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That MacAlly IceCAM is very low quality, though, I've heard. There was a recent thread about using Logitech's QuickCam Pro Zoom line or something like that. A different Logitech than the one listed by the OP. Lemme see if I can find the thread.

EDIT: I guess the conclusion was that it didn't work too well. :( But you can find threads on this if you search for "logitech quickcam."

11. ray_uk thread starter macrumors member

Yahoo MSN

Ive not had any doubts that the iSight is a great quality cam, but while reading the reviews on Apples site it would seem the the iSight is not usable in yahoo which I personally use or msn "which I dont use.

Has anyone here been able to use the iSight in Yahoo?

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

With respect to MSN: Yes it is, many threads on this, using aMSN or Mercury (but not using MS's client).

With respect to Yahoo: I'm pretty sure it also works, but I don't use Yahoo chat very often. :(

13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

After using the iSight in the MBP, I don't like the quality of the original iSight and cable mess and camera. The difference is so different it is like comparing Tiger to Windows XP.

14. ray_uk thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I though I heard Steve Jobs saying that the new iMac and Macbook Pro incorporated update / improved iSight camera's, which is a nother reason I thought id hold off on the current one, but there havent even been any rumors about the freestanding iSight camera being update to the newer specs.