Good WMV converter w/o Watermark?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by OldSkoolNJ, Jan 2, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

Now I have no problem buying a piece of software so recommend anything. Now I have my hands on a bunch of converters for doing all the converting I want for any type of video. I rarely ever get a WMV that I need to convert but I have come to one I need to. However I remember the last time I came across one no matter what converter I used it watermarked the video with "Created with FLip4Mac Trial" . Is this inherent and I have to buy the full version of Flip4Mac or is there a program that will convert with out the need of giving Micro$oft more money than I want to. Again I will take any and all suggestions. Thanks guys

Kevin :apple:

2. macrumors newbie

dann e b

iSquint?

Hi Kevin,
    I use iSquint which is the free version of Visualhub. It can't always handle the newest WMVs but it's good to try as it's a freebie. I've not actually tried VisualHub so cannot comment on that.

Dan...

3. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I love visualhub. It's reasonably priced I think ($23ish last I checked) and converts most everything to numerous preset formats along with being able to create your own format (bit rate, etc). I haven't tried iSquint but sounds like they are fairly close to one in the same.

4. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. macrumors 603

VLC will also convert from one format to another. Although I am not too sure how stable the Mac version is when converting.

6. macrumors 68030

You could also try ffmpgX, which is a little cheaper than VisualHub.

7. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Milage may vary and it's flakey with WMV files.

I've had it work just fine with other content.

8. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Does iSquint or visualhub actually handle wmvs without flip4mac? In my experience the watermark was still there after trying to convert a wmv in isquint or mpegstreamclip.

9. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

iSquint and VisualHub do not use any Flip4Mac components.

Are you trying to remove a watermark?

10. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, I was trying to convert a downloaded wmv into a mov. Anyway, my job bought me flip4mac so its not an issue anymore.

11. macrumors 68030

From A Buick 8

I know this is an old thread, but i have the same question. I have some .WMV files that i would like to convert, any free software that can do it.

Actually what i would like is to combine and convert, i have looked at iSkySoft video converter and it looks like it does exactly what i am looking for, but i only need it for this one conversion and the $35 is a little steep.

12. macrumors 6502a

Does the Mac version of Handbrake not work with WMV files? I know the PC version does.

13. macrumors 65816

aarond12

A great app in its time; it is no longer in development. No updates are being made for it.

If the PC version does it, likely the Mac version does too. Due to a stupid VNC bug on Lion, I can't check now. I'll write back later if it doesn't work.

14. macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

The Mac version of Handbrake does indeed convert .wmv

15. macrumors 68030

From A Buick 8

I will have to try HB again, the first time around I thought it did not work.