Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Ive been trying Iweb and it seems to lack a little functionality for me for what I want to do. Are there any other WYWSIG editors for websites? (Sorry I probably have the abbreviation wrong)

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
viccles said:
Ive been trying Iweb and it seems to lack a little functionality for me for what I want to do. Are there any other WYWSIG editors for websites? (Sorry I probably have the abbreviation wrong)
NVU is the best free one.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
viccles said:
Ive been trying Iweb and it seems to lack a little functionality for me for what I want to do.
It would be helpful to know what you are looking to do. I've often found that there really isn't a magic bullet app for web design.

I, personally, use the following (not all are WYSIWYG in nature):
  • Stone Design Create (WYSIWYG page generator, illustrations)
  • Adobe GoLive (WYSIWYG page editor, QuickTime content)
  • Adobe Photoshop/ImageReady (images/slices, initial page generator)
  • OmniWeb (primary code editor, page previews)
  • Adobe LiveMotion (Flash/QuickTime content)
  • Macromedia Flash (Flash/QuickTime content)
  • QuickTime Pro + MPEG2 (QuickTime content)
  • Adobe Acrobat (PDF content)
  • Stone Design PStill (PDF content)
  • Caffeine Software Curator (gallery pages generator)
  • RBrowser (FTP client)
With all those I generally have all my bases covered. Then it depends on what type of pages I'm designing as to which sets of tools I grab for each different job.

The easiest pages I make are the technical ones for my own personal sites which are pretty much all done using Create with small edits in OmniWeb (fortunately I have versions of both Create and OmniWeb for almost every OS I use).

But yeah, knowing what you want to do would help in pointing you in the right direction. I've never been a one size fits all type of person, and just because something works for me doesn't make it the right choice for everyone.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I'm using NVU at the moment seems not too bad just having a few probs with certain aspects

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I noticed your other thread where you link to the page in progress.

I think you'd be able to do all the pages you've listed (About, Photography, Poetry, Pictures and Contact) in iWeb and probably with better results since the templates let you make picture slideshows and since your about page looks like it's taking the form of a blog page which iWeb has excellent templates for.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Since I had nothing better to do, I decided to play with iWeb a little bit, just to see how strictly you had to follow the templates. Here's the result. The only thing remaining from the template is the white colour and font on the text links.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
there are some templates you can download for iweb that remove some of the restrictions. such as giving you a totally blank white page or a totally blank black page to start with.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
gekko513 said:
Since I had nothing better to do, I decided to play with iWeb a little bit, just to see how strictly you had to follow the templates. Here's the result. The only thing remaining from the template is the white colour and font on the text links.

one of the more overlooked aspects of photo pages in iWeb is that under the inspector, you can add borders and drop shadows to the images... as a quick example, here's a quick page I have thrown together so I can look at pics of my kids at work...

Pictures Page

The reason I threw it together with iWeb instead of hand coding, or using another package? I don't have to get the image editor fired up and do batch conversions on photos to get them all looking spiffy with the borders and drop shadows.

<edit>

there are some templates you can download for iweb that remove some of the restrictions. such as giving you a totally blank white page or a totally blank black page to start with.

Actually, update 1.1 brought those as standard pages now... you can select blank pages from the page selection box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.