good X11 programs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NavyIntel007, Apr 22, 2003.

1. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Besides gimp, what is everyone using with x11? Anything?

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

ya need fink navyintel007...
    http://fink.sourceforge.net
    and to go with fink...
    http://finkcommander.sourceforge.net

edit: i just saw one of your posts talking about how you installed fink...sorry :D
    anyway i use a lot of stuff with x11...kde, a bunch of games, the periodic table thing for my science class, openoffice, etc.

3. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i use appleworks for wordprocessing (if i'm not using textedit - it has most of the features i need), but abiword is a really nice program. gimp is ok, but a pain to learn. dillo is kind of a novelty, but it's easily the fastest graphical browser i've ever seen (i hope that fink updates the source soon). what i really want to get my hands on is sodipodi (sodipodi.sf.net), a vector graphics application like illustrator that uses svg as its native format. it's still in the unstable tree of fink and i've downloaded the source but am too lazy to compile it myself. if you use a lot of png images on your website, pngcrush is an indispensable utility

4. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

I don't know much of anything about Unix so I haven't messed around with X11 much yet. However, if the final version is included and installed in 10.3 and works great than I'm ready to start downloading some great programs that use it. OpenOffice is one program I've been dying to try...I just don't wanna have to mess around with installing all the necessary parts...I just want it to work...and that's right in Apple's back yard. Unix for the rest of us!! Bring on Panther!!!

5. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

6. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

vncserver.

remark, that you will not see the "white taskbar" of os x but only the kde or gnome or fluxbox, or whatever :) windows, if you compile it.

7. boobers macrumors regular

DCGUI

I use DCGUI in X11 because some servers won't allow anything but DC++ or DCGUI
    (referring to Direct connect file sharing hub)

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

9. szark macrumors 68030

szark

It certainly does have a unique style, and gives you a totally new way to view the World Wide Web... :D

10. NavyIntel007 thread starter macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

ha... more like a retro way.

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

thanks uber i've been wanting to look into learning a few x11 things this is a good start.

12. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Which desktop do people prefer? Gnome or KDE. I've just started playing with X11 and I was just curious if one desktop was better than the other. I'm pretty well versed with MS Windows (recent switcher) so the interfaces of both are not a problem.

13. vniow macrumors G4

I'm partial to KDE myself, it seems more polished and developed than GNOME, more customizeable from when I've used them......

14. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

lynx doesn't require x11, it runs fine in a normal terminal window. lynx is also really lame, links is a much better text browser as it supports tables and has limited support for color.