Goodbye $1600, HELLOOOOO iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by itskiLLjoy, Feb 5, 2007.

1. itskiLLjoy macrumors newbie

:D Vista was the last straw... bye bye Windows, and bye bye cash. lol Just put in my order on Amazon for a 20" w/ 1GB ram, and a new wireless keyboard/mouse to match. Tuesday will be fun!

So what's the FIRST thing I should do with my new Mac? heh

2. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

its not $1600 lost, its another member added to the family :D

4. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Congrats on your purchase, you're going to have a very peaceful life, well, compared to Windows environment anyway.

Over 5 years of happy computing here on a Mac

5. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

Stand back admire its beauty and weep with Joy......

6. itskiLLjoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Peaceful after my girlfriend says "YOU SPENT HOW MUCH?!?!" :cool:

I'm looking forward to playing with it, and learning more about OSX. I've barely touched an Apple in my life, aside from some small usage in school. I'm still stuck on Windows at work, but that's ok. :)

7. Acksim macrumors newbie

You should probably start finding things to do with your extra free time that you won't be spending on the phone with some tech support guy on another continent who still can't help with your windows machine

8. itskiLLjoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha... I've never had to call tech support for a computer problem. I've fixed PLENTY of problems in Windows in the past... 10 years, that I've got that part down better than any poorly trained outsourced call center. ;)

The fun will be learning all the little shortcuts, and getting used to the computer in general. :)

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Take a photo of course.

10. waremaster macrumors 6502

I just got that exact same setup for my desk at work. You will love it.

11. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Tell her you got it in a sale (20% off and/or extra stuff thrown in), and it could have cost a lot more had you not jumped in at the right time.

Believe me it works, somehow ;)

12. Gosh macrumors 6502

Welcome! You've joined la resitance.

I switched last May and although it ain't all been plain sailing I would never go back (I do use XP in Parallels although now less and less often). $1600 is only the start of it as you'll want to lavish your iMac with gifts and maybe even buy it a little MacBook friend.

Like a kid you will come up with ever more incredible excuses to spend more Apple $ - that's why they're so profitable. I know you're saying to yourself "that will not happend to me" but it will! The nice big cardboard box comes in useful when kicked out the house!;)

Advise? Maintain! http://www.atomicbird.com/macaroni

13. vonzoog macrumors newbie

I got the exact setup you are getting last week. As a 15 year Windows user all I can say is this.

So far I love it, plus it looks better than any PC you can buy. Little things about Mac and OS X are going to make your eyes light up. I think it is the attention to details and a more simplistic approach to things that will win you over.

I jump over to the dark side and so far the light is getting brighter.:D

14. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Turn it on. Answer the set up questions. Sit back and take a big sigh of relief at how easy it all was!

15. Maynerd macrumors regular

Right on! Way to go! I did the deed a few weeks ago and haven't looked back! :)

16. thugpoet22 macrumors regular

When i frist got my macbook last May i had to get use to not having to fix problems all the time or worry about an anti virus. You will honestly find your self becoming more efficient in what ever you choose to do with your imac.

17. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Of course it is the other way round, but I heard this great phrase the other week:

Men go bankrupt from the money their wives spend on sale

18. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Don't Forget!

Save the box, manuals, and discs - helps with resale value when it turns into a collector's item!

19. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

well, from the two quotes, my first recommendation would be a new girlfriend. :eek:

have fun learning about the new computer and how weird it feels to not defrag anything... :apple:

20. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

21. biggiesmalls macrumors newbie

biggiesmalls

I switched from Windows 4 months ago, and I couldn't be happier. I love not having to defrag, run spyware scans, or anti-virus scans. Enjoy your new computer and have fun keeping yourself from buying accessories for it!

22. iEric007 macrumors regular

iEric007

So I am a switcher???? I was a Mac user in the 90's and in 2000, I switched to Windows, and then recently, in May 06', I returned to Mac, seems permanent now. So am I a switcher, or a returner??? LOL

Actually...you'll enjoy you new iMac. You'll wonder why you didn't switch earlier!!! Since May 06', I've been a Mac user (20" intel iMac, 13.3 Macbook, and 15.4" Macbook Pro now) and I can't tell you how happy I've been with them compared to Windows. I get mad at my girlfriend for still using Windows and I just can't convince her to switch because she doesn't want to "learn something new." We need counseling huh? j/k.

My girlfriend was also mad because of how much I spent on my iMac, but hey...she'll love the cool videos I am going to make of us on iLife 07'.

Enjoy and congratulations on your purchase...

Welcome to Macintosh.

:apple:

23. iEric007 macrumors regular

iEric007

Do they sell those at the Apple store? Maybe they have AppleCare for them? ;)

24. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Congrats. I've had a Mac since 2003. But I had used them at school since the early 90's. I grew up using a Macs at my Elementary School.

I have a G5, but am tempted to buy an iMac if it ever comes in orange to match my sexy new shuffle! :D

25. txcoast macrumors newbie

You will love it.......... I recieved my 20" iMac mid January, right after MWSF. Well, actually they shipped me two of them. Hardest thing I ever did was to call and get the extra one picked up :eek: ....but the right thing to do.
    My old Mac was the iMac 400 DV with OS 9 so this is a little bit of a learning curve for me but I love every minute of it!